Thursday, March 18, 2010

THANKFUL THURSDAY...what are you wearing?

Yesterday, all over America, people wore the color green. Most likely, if you are Irish, you wore something green and even if you are not Irish, you probably still wore something green so you would not get pinched. There was no doubt in my mind, as I traveled around town, what some people were based on what they wore.

St. Patricks Day is one of those days of the year that people pursposefully choose their outerwear to express who they are. They are proud to be called Irish!

Each day when we go to our closet to pick out our clothes to wear for the day, most of us choose very carefully and we want to look our best. I would even say that what we wear expresses who we are. For those of us that are sporty natured, you probably pull on a pair of sweat pants and a t-shirt. While others of us, may have a trendy side and we go for the dress slacks and sleek sweater. Whether we realize it or not, to some degree, we all focus on the clothes that we wear. Hoping that our "style" will express exactly who we are.

If we want to express to others that we are followers of Christ, there is a style of clothing for us to wear. But it is not a pair of jeans, a t-shirt or a cardigan sweater. The scripture tells us to focus on the internal clothing for this is what determines how we live, act and treat others.

COLOSSIANS 3:12 " Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience."

If you wore something green yesterday, someone probably recognized that you are Irish ... but what are you wearing that others would recognize you as a follower of Christ? May we all live our lives clothed with the label of Christ!

Aren't you thankful that the clothing of Christ never goes out of style! What are you thankful for today? Please share your grateful heart with us by linking up your TT post below. HAPPY TT!

24 comments:

Nancie said...

Hi Laurie,

Thanks for this precious reminder that what we wear should enable others to recognize us as a follower of Christ. Truly our lives are not our own but to live for the Lord, to glorify Him and be a witness for Him. Indeed, may God enable us to live our lives clothed with the label of Christ!

Thanks for hosting Thankful Thursday. I am always reminded to count my blessings and not forget to be thankful for God's love and many mercies. Take care and Happy Thankful Thursday!

Warm Regards,
Nancie

It Feels Like Chaos said...

Love the reminder of being clothed with Christ!

debi9kids said...

what a beautifully profound post.
Blessings.

Denise said...

Beautiful reminder.

Karen said...

The label of Christ...I love that! Great post...

Kari said...

Lovely post! This is my first time posting for Thankful Thursdays! BTW, I was just writing out a memory verse card for my son that contained the verse after the one you shared: "Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you." -Col. 3:13 God knew we'd need to clothe ourselves with Him to be able to forgive! :)

Debbie Petras said...

I love how you wrote:
"May we all live our lives clothed with the label of Christ!"

This says so much and is a good reminder to me.

Blessings and love,
Debbie

tammi said...

Great thoughts on the believers' clothing! Thank you for this reminder!!

(oh dear, I wonder if Someone is trying to tell me something ~ my word verification is "SHIRKER"!!)

Crystal said...

What a wonderful post. A great reminder for me today.

Unknown said...

May we all live our lives clothed with the label of Christ!

Oh Laurie, Amen... Hugging you. Thank you for hosting us and have a wonderful TT. Hugs. Lynn

Pamela Scott said...

what a beautiful post, thanks

Debbie said...

This was great as always. I was thinking too how many people REALLY look to see how the Christians conduct themselves. How we "dress" is really soo important. Thanks for this reminder. Have a wonderful day.

Michele said...

Amen!! This was a great post!

Nocona said...

Beautiful! I have been doing Thankful Thursday for months now but never had anyone to link up to. I am gald to find you. I think ungratefulness is a problem these days and I don't want to be that person.

Samantha said...

Such a beautiful reminder.
Thank you for hosting and praying you have a truly blessed Thursday dear one.

Sandy said...

Hi Laurie,
I really enjoyed this post very much! Thank you for writing this. I am dressed in my Lions/Jase's Mom shirt today to go to his baseball game!
Thank you again for hosting Thankful Thursdays!

Joshlin said...

WOW! You really made me think today! I now need to make sure I am clothing myself the right way all the time. Thank You!

Barbara said...

Oh I am so thankful that I can stand with the Christians, and be called a child of God, Jesus is my Saviour and I will be forever thankful to him for that, he is my great Shepherd, and daily leads my footsteps, thank Lord for saving me, for staying with me, and for using me for your service.
Hugs and Prayers, Barbara

Tammy said...

Great post. It is so very important that we be spiritually clothed.

Unknown said...

Thank you for a beautiful reminder! I hope that you have a great day.
Katrina
www.proverbs-31-wife.blogspot.com

becky aka theRAV said...

Maybe a smile, Laurie. Great post.

Edna said...

I know that people knows I am a Christian, so we don't get invited to eat out with anyone, as they know we do drink alchol and don't approve of it.

Our 49th wedding anniversary was yesterday the 17th and yes I wore green but I am not Irish.
The day did not go well as firt my hubby an a doctor appointment for his back then we visited my only brother left at the rehab center, he is not doing good and while there I found out my last sister had passed away around 9am so the day was not a really good one, But Thank God we made it through.

mamat2730(at)charter(dot)net

bp said...

This was my verse for this week on my blog. It is great to relate to the wearing of green this week.

Have a good weekend!
Bethany

eph2810 said...

Ha, I totally forgot to wear green yesterday :) ...I noticed it when I got to work, but it was too late to change my outerwear. Laurie, I do hope that I am clothed with His love to show others who I belong to. But some days, the compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience wears thin...

Thank you for hosting Thankful Thursday this month. Also, thank you for the reminder to clothe myself with His traits.

Love & peace,
Iris