Monday, April 6, 2009

AT THE WELL...older women

We are gathering around THE WELL once again.
The chatter can be heard for miles as we all gather and discuss today's topic: The Older Woman

Here are the discussion questions placed before us this week:
How are you doing as an older woman?
Do you live in a way that is appropriate for someone serving the Lord?
How is your speech, your attitude?
Are you producing the fruits of the Spirit in your life?

I have come into a season of life that some may look at me and say, "she is an older woman". The reason that some may think that is not just because of my age (I am 45 and proud to be!), but some may look to me as an "older" woman because of the fact that 3 of my 4 children are grown. I may be looked upon as an "older" woman because one of my sons is already married. A younger woman may look to me as an "older" woman because of the grey hairs that pop out under my purchased hair color! But, I would guess that most women who consider me to be an "older"woman is because of the trials, the temptations and the triumphs that I have come thru.

It has been said that a holy life has a voice that speaks when the tongue is silent. Do you know a woman whose godly life speaks and teaches...even when and while her tongue is silent?

More importantly than asking if you know someone like this ... I ask myself, "am I becoming this kind of woman?" The kind of woman whose very life shows and encourages others how to live out God's high calling.

It is not always easy to remain silent. And if truth be told, I haven't always remained silent. It is something that God is working on me in my life.

Yesterday in church, I had the sweetest lady whom I respect greatly make a comment to me. This is what she said to me after hearing a lesson I had just finished teaching : "I can relate to you so well, it's like you are not up on a pedestal".

WOW.

That was the greatest encouragement that I could have received. For "up on a pedestal" is NOT where I want to find myself.

Instead, where I want to be is walking among the crowd. Reaching and teaching the lonely, the forgotten and the hurting.

TITUS 2:3 "the older women likewise, that they be reverent in behaviour, not slanderers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things -"

There are two ways that God's older women can teach others:

  • 1. by what they do
  • 2. by what they say

In other words, it is not enough to just teach younger women the things of God, but we must reflect them in our own walk with the Lord.

Seeing is truly believing!

God is still working on me. Refining me. Teaching me. Even during this molding stage, God is using my flaws, my imperfections to teach.

To teach me. To teach others.

ARE YOU AN OLDER WOMAN? We all are! Each of us is older than someone! Don't wait to be the perfect vessel to take up the call to teach someone younger than you.

To be an older woman like is described in Titus 2:3 is more than just accepting the call; it is a lifestyle.

WHO ARE YOU TEACHING? AND WHAT ARE YOU TEACHING

You can join the others over AT THE WELL who are talking about "older women" today. CLICK HERE to find the chatter!

6 comments:

annies home said...

I love your post and yes I feel the same way I was a teen when I had my first child so my famiy is older but my age is still young at the same time I agree that we learn through experience and by what we see others do I keep this in mind with my own children

Raye Ann said...

A few years back one of the women at church told me I had a responsibility to be teaching the young. I thought "What I am only 37!" It turned out that she was not talking about my age. Well now I am 41 and in someways feel younger than I did then.

Blessings

Joyfull said...

Wonderful post today and you shared such a great truth about ministering to others: walking with them, relating to them, loving them!! I am blessed and encouraged!

Karen @dixielandcrafts said...

Amen our greatest method of teaching and testifying is by example!!

That was very sweet what that lady said to you at church. I had a lady I sweetly call "nana" at church tell me the other day after she was done praying for me at the alter that I was a pretty good girl. I loved that. It made my heart sing. I told her thank you but most days I feel like a failure. She said that is what the enemy wants you to believe, so don't! Just plain like that. Don't believe the enemy. Wonderful words of encouragement from a sweet "older" Godly woman.

That this what Titus 2 is all about.

God Bless,
Karen @ Lil Momma's Haven

Laurie Ann said...

Laurie, what a blessing your post was! Awesome work, my friend. I'm an older woman, too, and I can honestly say I am becoming who God wants me to be more and more each day through the help of Christ and the counsel of other older women around me. It's humbling to know God is transforming us, isn't it?!

Beth in NC said...

Great post as always Laurie.

I'm glad you aren't on a pedestal and people feel you are on their level at your church. Sometimes it is hard to access a pastor's family. I'm sure you are such a breath of fresh air!

Many blessings!
Beth