Friday, December 12, 2008

WORD POWER...katapheugo

Now here's a word I bet you never heard of ... KATAPHEUGO. It is the greek lexicon word meaning "refuge".

Katapheugo (kat-af-yoo'-go) (verb)
DEFINITION: to flee away, flee for refuge

When I was a child, I lived in a community where there were alot of Hmong refugee's. Whenever I heard the word "refuge" I automatically thought of this part of town where most of these refugee's lived.

It wasn't until later that I realized that the word refuge meant safety. We all seek to have a feeling of safety...
  • safe from danger
  • safe from our enemies
  • safe in times of trouble
A documentary about Jimmy Stewart, the actor revealed an amazing story of the "net of safety" that he found. It was the year 1941, World War II and Jimmy Stewart enlisted in the Army Air Corps and prepared to go overseas. Stewart's father choked up when he tried to say farewell to his son, so he wrote Jimmy a note. After being shipped out, Jimmy read the words that his father had not been able to say outloud:
My dear Jim boy,

"Soon after you read this, you will be on your way to the worst sort of danger. Jim, I'm banking on the enclosed copy of the 91st Psalm. The thing that takes the place of fear and worry is the promise of these words. I am staking my faith in them. I can say no more. I only continue to pray. Goodbye, my dear. God bless you and keep you. I love you more than I can tell you."

Dad
As you know, Jimmy Stewart returned home safely. A decorated war hero, he was unharmed even though his record included 20 combat missions. During the heat of battle, Stewart is said to have leaned on the words of his tattered copy of Psalm 91.

I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress;
my God, in Him I will trust." - PSALM 91:2

No matter what battle you may face today, lean on Him and trust in His protection. For God is our refuge or katapheugo. And that is a Word that you can bank on!

NOW THAT IS A WORD PACKED WITH REFUGE!

5 comments:

Beth in NC said...

That is beautiful Laurie -- of course the letter made me cry. I can't imagine sending a child off to war. I did have a nephew go to Iraq and I covered him in prayer. He is home now (thank the Lord).

What a great post -- God is our refuge, our safe place.

Love,
Beth

Beth in NC said...

I didn't know about your son. I pray God will bring him to my heart to cover in prayer daily.

I pray this will be an especially precious Christmas for you and your family. Father God has a way of doing that for us.

Bless you!
Beth

Debra Kaye said...

Laurie,

This post hit close to my heart as my son has been telling his father and I for the last year that God has laid it upon his heart that he is to serve his country in the military.

I always thought God would call him into the ministry as he is one of the most compassionate young men I know. All of his friends call him for a word of encouragement and wise counsel.

I have learned not to stand in God's way and know that if He is calling my son, I will not be the voice that deters him. This Psalm will be one of many I lean on when and if the Lord continues to call Josh in this direction.

I have such respect for the military as both my father and my husband's grandfather served. I can see by Beth's note that you must have a son there too.

I will join in the chorus of prayer of him as well as all of our military. Blessings to you today, sweet sister!

Laurie Ann said...

Happy Birthday to your dear husband. And I loved the word study and story that went with it. Very powerful!

Anonymous said...

Wow! Happy birthday to your husband, Clayton. Be joyful! God bless you both!