Wednesday, December 31, 2008

WEDNESDAY WEEKLY WORD...Honoring the Name

We all find ourselves in situations where we have to think about how our behavior reflects the name of another person or the organization with which we are affiliated with. I often times remind my children that their behavior reflects our family name. That theory does not just apply to children and teens, but if we, as adults, represent a company, everything that we do will affect how customers see our company. We can bring so much peace into relationships if we would just consider the name we are representing.

In my last YOUR OPINION MATTERS POLL, I polled the readers and asked them, "Where do you go to seek peace in your life?" And the top 3 answers were:

1. 31% of those polled said they find peace on a retreat.
2.18% of the readers said they find peace in their bathroom. (certainly they were joking)
3.15% voted and said they find peace when they take a drive in their car.

This poll reflected two things to me. First, that we all feel the need to retreat "somewhere" to find peace, and secondly, that finding peace is usually getting "away" from those we love. I am not sure how escaping from those we love brings honor to our name. Somehow I am thinking honor and unity should go hand in hand.

This is true when we as Christians bear the name of Jesus Christ. Honor and Unity go hand in hand...

COLOSSIANS 3:17 "And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."

Everything that we do should be done to glorify the name of Jesus Christ.

The way of the world is to live to glorify one's own name. For instance, so many people strive to be like a famous sports figure, or a singing star or movie star. Have you ever noticed that some major stars can be recognized by "one - name" only...Elvis, Cher, Madonna, Shaq. Having a name that is recognizable does not assure that one will feel valued for who they are, most likely these famous "one - name" stars are well known because of their money, influence or fame. Not for who they really are.

The only "one -name" superstar that is worthy of honor and praise is the name of JESUS.

In today's society, Jesus' name gets treated in many different ways by many different kinds of people. Many use His name as a swear word. To a Christian, this type of name slamming is like taking a fine silk cloth and using it to wipe something dirty and filthy. It is true that this brings total dishonor to our Saviors name but what about when Christians call upon the Lord with their lips, but do not honor Him with their lives?

Jesus said, "Why do you call Me 'Lord, Lord', and don't do the things I say?" (found in Luke 6:46).

Truly, honoring Jesus' name is living according to what He taught. Paul instructs the people of Colossae in ways to honor the name of Jesus:

Putting on love

with HEARTFELT COMPASSION
Heartfelt compassion is going beyond outward acts to opening our heart to another person. In other words, our giving and loving must be heartfelt rather than manipulative.

1 CORINTHIANS 13:3 "And though I bestow all my good to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, but have not love, it profits me nothing."

We, as Christians, must have the same heartfelt compassion as Christ did for those that are going thru a hard time. (see Matthew 9:36)

with KINDNESS
This can often times be used as a synonym for "mercy".

MICAH 6:8 "What does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God."

with HUMILITY
Humility is being willing to serve others, not because you are worthless but because God calls you to help others to see their worth.

with GENTLENESS
Gentleness is realizing that we are all sometimes as vulnerable as little children.

1 THESSALONIANS 2:7 "Instead we were gentle among you, as a nursing mother nurtures her own children."

with PATIENCE
Patience is what we need to have, realizing that God is not finished with any of us. We are all "work in progress". We need to show patience with each other by forgiving one another as Christ forgave us.

Learning to love has probably been one of the hardest lessons for mankind to learn. Several years ago, a pop singer Tina Turner sang a song entitled, "What's Love Got to Do With It?" This particular song depicts why most people get frustrated with love... they are looking for what they can "get out of it." Paul, suggests that it is not what we "get out of" love but rather how can we "give love"?

If we carry the name of Christ...what are we honoring His name with?
  • love or prejudice
  • compassion or greed
  • kindness or anger
  • humility or selfishness
  • gentleness or isolation
  • patience or short tempered

Putting on love will not only bring honor to your name but also your Father's name.

I have been studying the book of Colossians. This mid week study are reflections of what Paul has taught me thru this book. I hope you will join me this week in bringing honor to the name you bear. May you love unconditionally those around you and as you do may you feel God's peace.

YOUR OPINION MATTERS POLL: please take time to vote in this week's poll. It is located on the side bar of this blog. YOUR OPINION REALLY DOES MATTER!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Orthodox Jews still do not spell out the name of God- instead they will often spell out G-D. This falls in line with their Torah principles in which they would only refer to God as The Name. Done out of extreme respect and reverence to the Creator. Sometimes I wonder if we, as Christians, should be more cautious in throwing the name of God around- I know that we no longer live by the law, however, I wonder if we can learn a bit more respect in the way we easily share and speak HIS name.

As for the bathroom as a place for finding peace- I can say that I did not vote that way, however- there was a time when my two older boys were very young when the bathroom was literally the only place I could go to get away for some peace and quiet... I have a friend who hides in her closet when she needs peace from her two young boys- I know- sounds silly, but true :o)

Tammy said...

Great post!

For years, I dishonored Jesus with my life. I was one of those that would talk the talk but forget the walking part.

Today,I want my life to be a reflection of what God has done for me!

Salute said...

Hope you and the family had a Merry Christmas and wishing you all a Happy New Year.

Laurie Ann said...

Although the bathroom didn't get my vote, when times got chaotic with girls sleepovers and parties when Kristyn was growing up, that was one of my retreats, LOL! I believe that peace is necessary to keep on loving someone in the midst of the chaos! Hah hah. Great post, Laurie, and I loved how you tied it all together. Wonderfully done. Happy New Year!