Tuesday, December 2, 2008

ARE YOU A SUNDAY CHRISTIAN?

While recuperating from my recent surgery, I had alot of "reading" time. I read the new book from Megan DiMaria that I have told you about here on my blog, "Searching for Spice". Megan is a fellow blogger gone published author. I recommend her books.

In the book, "Searching for Spice", Linda came to a point in her life that she was faced with alot of discomforts and difficulties. While on a trip with her husband, Jerry - Linda just about gives up on her marriage, on her family and seemingly on her faith in God. A line in the book that really stuck out to me was when Jerry, the husband asks Linda if she was a "Sunday Christian."

WOW. That question stayed in my head not just for hours but for a few days.

"Am I a Sunday Christian?"

  • When everything is going great ... it's easy to sing "How Great Thou Art".
  • When things get difficult...how easy IS the wind taken from my sail?
  • What happens to my faith when life brings me discomfort and pain?
  • How great IS my faith in God?
Matthew 17:19-20 "Then the disciples came to Jesus privately and said, 'Why could we not cast it out?' He said to them, 'Because of your little faith. For truly I tell you, if you have faith the size of a mustard seed, you will say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there,' and it will move; and nothing will be impossible for you."

Luke 17:5-6 "The apostles said to the Lord, 'Increase our faith!' The Lord replied. 'If you had faith the size of a mustard seed, you could say to this mulberry tree, 'Be uprooted and planted in the sea,' and it would obey you.'"

The disciples needed faith the size of a mustard seed.

WHAT IS A MUSTARD SEED?
A mustard seed is very, very tiny. But once planted, it grows into a huge tree.

Jesus said a little faith can have incredible results.

Who were the disciples to have faith in?
God.
And is there anything God can't do?
No.
Were the disciples actually causing the miracles, or God?
God was.
The disciples thought casting out a demon was too hard for them.
Of course it was.
Can God do anything we ask of Him?
Absolutely.
So when we doubt, we are doubting God's ability.
That is an insult to Him.
We don't need a lot of faith - just as much as a mustard seed - to provoke great results - because our God is an awesome God!
We must believe in Him and not worry about what we can or can't do. God will not ask us to do more than we can. He wants us to be willing to do His work. He'll provide the rest.

Faith of a mustard seed needs time to grow...so having faith on Sundays ONLY just WILL NOT do!

Exercise your faith in God daily and see just how those difficulties may turn into victories instead.

WHAT SIZE OF FAITH DO YOU HAVE?

5 comments:

Debra Kaye said...

Laurie,

You have no idea how much I needed to read this very post! Thank you.

Jennifer said...

An amazing and inspiring post today, Laurie!

It goes along with the text devotion that Pastor Rusty sends out and I ask him if I could use it today in my blog.

I truly needed both of these today...yours and PR's.

Hope you are continually feeling better and stronger with each new day...remember...don't over do it.

Love u!
Jenn

Laurie Ann said...

Wonderful post, Laurie! I love how my faith has grown in Christ through the years. It began as a tiny mustard seed many years ago and has now sprung into an immeasurably sized tree! Rooted in Christ, it continues to grow and grow! I pray I have the faith that continues to grow and never stops.

Salute said...

Lovely post and wishing you a speedy recover.

Robin said...

Great Post. I strive to live Surrendered for my Lord. It's a daily, sometimes moment by moment beautiful way to express my devotion to Jesus and the only way that I found to give me peace and streangth in Him. Bless you and your family this Holiday Season. Wishing you a Christ-like Christmas!