Wednesday, January 12, 2011

WEDNESDAY WEEKLY WORD...we need each other

Who has never felt the need for a friend in a time of crisis or pain? The bond that we share with others is so critical. We live out our lives within the context of relationships. It goes all the way back to our mother's womb, our very existence is dependent upon two people choosing to be together.

As infants and small children, we are dependent upon the relationship we have with our caregivers, from then on our socialization process begins with playmates and classmates. We learn to tolerate. We learn to share. We learn how to get along with others. We quickly learn that the world does not revolve around us, but other people matter as well.

As I look over my lifespan thus far, I see that relationships come in multiple shapes and sizes. Each one is like a swatch of fabric that makes up a crazy and wild quilt...triangles, squares and rectangles. The colors are vivid, but the textures and patterns are different. No two shapes or designs are alike. The threads that stitch that quilt together is much like the threads that stitch us together with others. Memories. Attitudes. Experiences. Love. Joy. Heartache.

Some of our relationships will last forever.
Some are only for a short duration. In some, we will invest time and love and energy while others we will maintain emotional distance. An acquaintance is different than a friend, and a friend can be as close as a sister. Truth be told, the quality of the relationship is dependent upon the depth of our investment.

In last week's YOUR OPINION MATTERS POLL, I polled the readers the following question, "Who do you have the strongest relationship with?" The top 3 responses were:

1. 50% voted and said they have the strongest relationship with their spouse (or mate).
2. 12% responded and said their children.
3. Another 12% replied that they have a strong relationship with their mother.

I have found that over time, our relationships can change. For instance, my relationship with my grown children is not the same as it was when they were younger. They are less dependent upon me. I am no longer their caregiver, but more of a mentor, a friend to them now. Relationships change as our needs change. Sometimes it is good change and sometimes it is not.

Even though relationships can come and go, the one relationship that remains constant is the relationship that God has with us. We may turn our back on God and forget all about His mercies, but God never forgets about us. He never stops loving us. He never gives up on us. We are His children, and His love and affection for us stays the same. No matter what.

God has said, “Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you.” (Hebrews 13:5)

Today, when I think about all of the great people in my life...my husband, my kids, my parents, my siblings, my friends, etc - I cannot forget the One Who I need the most and that is my Heavenly Father. Without Him, I would not have the power to love, forgive and pray for all of the others that walk in and out of my life.

We need each other, indeed, but most of all we need Jesus!

1 comment:

Karen said...

Amen! I realized last night at our ladies' Bible Study, just how much we need each other! Thankful for friends and loved ones!