Wednesday, December 2, 2009

WEDNESDAY WEEKLY WORD...the gift of a robe

What do you suppose is the most important ingredient in developing a friendship? This is exactly what I polled the readers last week in the YOUR OPINION MATTERS POLL, and the top 3 answers were:

1. 63% of those voting said that one would need to be self giving instead of self focused.
2. 45% voted and said that friendship needed to be worked at.
3. Another 45% said that trust was the most important ingredient in developing a friendship.

In the book of 1 Samuel, we find the story unravel between two friends Jonathan and David. This was not just any kind of friendship, but it was a deep, intimate friendship.

1 SAMUEL18:1 "After David had finished talking with Saul, Jonathan became one in spirit with David, and he loved him as himself."

After I read this passage this week,  my mind wandered about this deep friendship between these two men...for instance, how did this intimacy come about? Was it from talking with each other late into the night? Or perhaps it was from fighting side-by-side in battle? It is not clear as to why this deep respect existed between these two friends, but we do see the how...

Jonathan expressed his friendship with David through a meaningful symbolic gesture. This gesture tells me some important things about how exactly a deep, intimate friendship can develop. First of all, Jonathan gave David his robe...

"Jonathan took off the robe he was wearing and gave it to David." (1 Samuel 18:4a)

This robe was a unique garment that designated him as royalty. So you see, this gift of the robe was much more than what we might see today when friends give a sweatshirt or a ballcap to a friend. Jonathan had given David an important symbol of his identity and status. This gesture certainly showed how much he valued their friendship.

It also showed how much he placed "trust" in their relationship. I can't imagine anybody giving something so precious and important as Jonathan did and not place trust in the person to do well with it. To honor his name and his reputation. Now that is total trust, isn't it?

In order for us to develop intimate friendships, we must first decide to trust!
Whom have you placed your trust with today? and more importantly, are you a trustworthy friend?



5 comments:

Denise said...

You are so awe inspiring, bless you.

Holly said...

I forwarded your devotion on to several of my closest friends.... Very good post and I enjoy your blog. I followed Denise over :) Thank you Denise!

God Bless,
Holly

PS I agree with Denise... Awe inspiring!

Debbie said...

This was so good as usual. I missed I guess your survey. I think I would have answered trust as well. But it also takes time and commintment to the relationship. I think I have seen more friendships fail when one of the people involved doesn't put in the time that is necessary. Good thing we know the Lord has all the time in the world for us. We just have to make sure we have time for Him. But it has to start with putting out trust in Him. Blessings to you, Debbie

dtbrents said...

A great post. I will save the devotion to ponder over. Doylene

Crystal said...

Great message as always Laurie! Thanks so much for the book too. I am really enjoying it thus far. You and a few others inspired me to get back to some things I had been missing - writing and reading. Love you!

http://passingthroughtherain.blogspot.com/