Thursday, August 25, 2016

DAILY DEVO...where do you stand?

I started a new study with our youth group last night called "God's not Dead". It's a Bible Study taken from the movie "God's not Dead" and I believe it will serve as a threshold of moving our young people from the sitting position to the standing position in their walk with God.

We live in a day now that knowing that you believe in something does not have as much merit as knowing why you believe it, because it's just too easy to just say "I believe".
.
I'm reminded of when I played on my high school volleyball team. My coach taught me a very unforgettable lesson. She would tell us that where we stood on the court could determine the winning point.

I'm sure you are wondering what volleyball has to do with whether we believe God is dead or alive. Well, another thing that I learned from my volleyball coach is that even though we cannot control what happens all over the court, we can control where we stand.

You see, we may not be able to control  what others believe or don't believe, but we can control the stand we take. It did my heart good last night when I asked the students "who believes in God" and they all raised their hands. But the icing on the cake came when I asked them to stand and tell me WHY they believe in God. Several had convincing statements that God was real to them.

"Be on your guard, stand firm in the faith; be men of courage, be strong." (1 Corinthians 16:13)

It has been said that if you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything. So, I ask you, "what do you stand for"? But more important, "why"?

Life is hard, like a game of volleyball, make sure you are standing in the right spot.

BLESSINGS. Laurie

No comments: