Wednesday, August 11, 2010

WEDNESDAY WEEKLY WORD... what is your motivator?

What is the inspiration behind expressing love and concern for others? For me...it depends on who I am concerning myself with.

The reason I care about my husband is probably going to be different than the reason I care about my boss! I express love to my sweetie, because I have chosen to love him, but my boss, well that is an entirely different thing. Even though I have chosen to be employed where I am, it could change any day any moment! The basis of our commitment may not always be love, it may be for a good paycheck, or to climb the ladder or for recognition.

Our moods and emotions can create all kinds of reasons for motivation, and at any given day, because emotions are like roller coasters, reasons why we do the things we do can change quickly!

When we base our reason for loving others and caring about people on God, we can be sure of it. His love is a guaranteed type of love. One that will stay the same, all of the time.

A parent of a young child may change the house rules as the child grows up. What motivates a 3 year old probably is not going to be what motivates a 16 year old. So we change how we motivate our children as they grow. But on the flip side of this, what motivates your child to listen to your rules? Possibly it is fear of daddy's belt or they may be merely motivated to listen out of respect for you as their parent.

When we choose to be motivated by God's kind of love, the kind that honors, respects, and sacrifices it pleases the parent of all parents. It pleases God.

In last week's YOUR OPINION MATTERS POLL,  I polled the readers the following question: "What is difficult for you to get motivated about?" The top 3 answers were...

1. 70% of those responding said that they have a hard time getting motivated to exercise.
2. 60% voted and said they have a hard time being motivated to do housework.
3. 30% voted that they have other things in their life that is hard to be motivated with.

This week's poll shows me that what we have difficulty with is duties. Love that is motivated by mere duty cannot hold out for very long. If you are simply being dutiful to your spouse, your children or your employer ... something is bound to erupt. If we are looking for favorable conditions to make us happy, most likely sufficient breathing oxygen will escape us.

Only love that is lifted up as an offering to God is able to sustain itself. You cannot leave love or what motivates you to love to chance. You can't just "hope" for the best. When God is your motivator, then there are no chances taken ...His hope is simply the BEST!

EPHESIANS 6:7 "Render service with a good attitude, as to the Lord and not to men."

No comments: