Thursday, August 19, 2010

THANKFUL THURSDAY... Christian teachers

Today marks the start of a new school year in my small community. As we begin our day today, different feelings swarm our heads. Nervousness sets in as some are starting a new school, a new class and meeting new friends. Excitement is full for the old friendships that will be rekindled after a long summer break. Parents are relieved to get back to their normal routine around the house and teachers await with anticipation for the opportunity to instruct yet another room full of students.

I have already been in prayer for the new school year for our teen daughter, as she starts high school. The most exciting but yet life deciding years are about to unfold for her. I pray that she will not only be safe at her school, but that she will study hard and be surrounded with Christian friends and teachers.

This past year, she had a teacher that was a Christian, and believe me, it made all of the difference in her life. She became Anna's confident and someone she could trust and go to in times of trouble. When Anna was having a bad day, just being able to go and see a friendly face was enough to turn her frown upside down.

Teachers have an insurmountable effect on their students. Either positive or negative. I am thankful for the positive influence of Christian teachers and workers in the education system. They may not be able to teach about the Bible or their faith in the classroom, but their attitude and love towards their students speaks volumes, even without sharing Christ with words...their actions does the talking.

PROVERBS 22:6 "Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old, he will not depart from it."

Today on Thankful Thursday, I am ever so grateful for the teachers that are leading by godly examples and training our students to be more than average, but to be superior, not just academically but spiritually on campus!

What are you thankful for today? Please share your TT post with us by linking up below with Mr. Linky. Happy Thankful Thursday everyone!

23 comments:

eph2810 said...

I so agree, Laurie. Christian teachers are very few, but they make a difference in a child's life. I was blessed that when I was a child we still had prayer in school (I think they still do in grade-school in Germany)...

Thank you for sharing your grateful heart and hosting TT this month.

Love & peace,
<>< Iris

Unknown said...

Oh Laurie,

I'm amazed how now much of our live parallel. My daughter started her second year of High school last week. Nerves and everything. I prayed like crazy as I took her to school and the first day went so well. It's just like our Lord. He takes care of His girls. Thanks for a great post and hope Anna's day is awesome. Hugs.

Nancie said...

Hi Laurie,

So thankful to know that God has provided Christian teachers and friends for your daughter. There are such gifts from God to be able to share God's goodness and comfort in her time of need. May God raise up more such godly teachers in the schools to be a light that shine for the Lord and point them to Christ. Thanks for sharing with us. Take care and have a blessed day.

Warm regards,
Nancie

Jess said...

Thanks!

From a Christian teacher :)

i said...

Hi Laurie, I agree with you. Some time ago a friend (who at that time was not a believer) was sharing how her 4 y/o daughter prayed for her when she was troubled. That's when she found out her little girl's teacher taught her to pray and encourage her to talk to God. Today my friend and her family attend the same church with me :-)

Happy TT!

Karen said...

I remember well the teachers that made a positive impact on my life growing up...and the ones that didn't...

Praying for our schools, teachers, and students....

It Feels Like Chaos said...

I posted about back to school, too! May God protect and grow our children to be warriors for Him.

Rocks said...

I love this verse :

Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old, he will not depart from it."

Parents can do this also as they are considered the first teacher of a child.

Denise said...

Amen sis.

Mylene said...

Teachers have an insurmountable effect on their students. -- I perfectly agree with this. This holds true to my pre-school little girl. Her teachers' influence to her is really great. And we should really thank them. I am more grateful that included in my daughter's curriculum is their weekly memory verse and a chapel hour every week.

Raise Them Up said...

Totally agree! Those Christian teachers in my boys' lives have been such a blessing!

Whidbey Woman said...

The weather's changing, summer's coming to an end, kids heading back to school... so nice to know that God remains the same forever and ever. He is our rock. Happy TT!

Martianne said...

Teachers are indeed vital. I had many good ones growing up and pray that since my husband and I have chosen to hoemschool, God guides us in being the best we can be for our children.

This week I will offer prayers for all students and teachers and God's work in their lives.

Cindy said...

Well said Laurie!

Thanks for sharing your gratitude with us. Godly teachers is a blessing to us all.

Hugs,
Cindy

Krista said...

Yes!! I agree!! Thank the Lord for all of the Christian teachers!! What a difference they make in this world!!

Krista said...

Yes!! I agree!! Thank the Lord for all of the Christian teachers!! What a difference they make in this world!!

becky aka theRAV said...

I love this post, Laurie. So true.

Debbie Petras said...

Laurie, a teacher can make or break a child's school year. I'm amazed by their impact. I love that you pray for your child's teachers. I believe they need lots of prayers for the responsibility they carry.

Blessings and love,
Debbie

Bethany said...

As a daughter and niece to two wonderful christian teachers I am in total agreement with you...
http://mommy2003.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

I am so thankful that my parents sacrificed to send me and my three sisters to Christian schools growing up. Most of the kids there went to my church, and it really did seem like a village was raising me to value my faith.

annies home said...

I agree with you the high school years are full of fun, stress, excitement and disappointment. As a mother of six who has enjoyed highschool years with all of them I can tell you that it is a time to get close, to learn when to back away and to always pray that they make the correct decisions and help them whenever needed I pray for both you and your daughter in the upcoming years

Elizabeth Dianne said...

As a former teacher in the public schools, I cannot emphasize how important you are to the success of public education.

Your prayers are vital. When I knew that a group of parents were actively praying for me, it encouraged, renewed, revived me for each new day ahead.

Don't underestimate the power of a praying parent for their child's education. You are needed!!

Sarah Frills4Thrills said...

Christian teachers and even nice teachers are so rare, I mean, I just graduated high school in 2008 so I'm sure things haven't improved a ton since I was in there! The teachers that actually cared about me were the teachers that I wanted to impress with my hard work and motivation to learn. I feel it not only benefits the student, but the teacher as well!
I just found your blog via "The Preacher's Wife" and look forward to reading more of your posts!

-Sarah
sittingsolo.blogspot.com