Friday, January 16, 2015

LACED WITH GRACE...change is coming

It is 2015 and believe it or not I have fallen victim to what we call the zone… the comfort zone, that is.

Everyone talks a big game whenever a new year rolls around, people are going to change this and change that. The truth is, few people change anything. Here it is, the sixteenth day of the New Year, and I, myself have not changed anything yet. Sixteen days which means I have had sixteen opportunities to do something different. But here I am doing the same thing, the same way as I did last week, last month and even last year.

Whether we are talking about changing a habit such as diet or exercise, or changing how we think or how we act, all of us tend to fall into a comfort zone and we tend to want to remain there…Comfortable.

People are resistant to change. I see it all of the time in churches across the country. Why else do you think there are so many church splits over the color of the carpet or if hymns should be sung from the wall or the book? It comes down to change and we do not like to change!
I read a humorous quote the other day that said:
Nobody likes change, except a baby with a wet diaper!”
Now that could be summed up as “change with a purpose.” But not all change is done with purpose. For instance, change for the sake of change really has no meaning. No purpose. Change in the wrong direction is simply like it states…wrong! For instance, a change from obedience to disobedience to God or a change from faith to doubt would be a change that would lead to a disastrous outcome. That kind of change would surely affect the purpose that God has set in motion for you and me.

Over the years, I have attempted to make changes in my life. I have tried different diets to change my dress size. I have tried different hair colors and styles to change my look. I have even changed my mind about caffeine not being good for you. But when it comes to change, the one thing that I know that remains the same, from time to time, is the love and grace of Jesus Christ. He is the same yesterday, today and forever because there is simply nothing about Him that needs to change. He is perfect.
“Give instruction to a wise man, and he will be yet wiser: teach a just man, and he will increase in learning.” – Proverb 9:9
Change can be scary, I suppose fear is what keeps so many of us from doing things differently. It can be somewhat unsettling to not know what to expect on the other end of change, but as the Proverb suggests above, change is essential in order to grow.

Every day is a new opportunity for us to learn something new that will change us in some way. I have decided that if I want to get different results in some areas of my life, I must do something different. I must change something. May we each go forward in this new year with an open mind and a teachable spirit so that change can come from the inside out.

PRAYER: Dear Lord, I accept that I am a work in progress. I am already better than how You found me, but I’m not settling for that. Take me out of my comfort zone and change what needs to be changed in my life, in my heart, and in my mind. May I see the purpose in the change you need for me. AMEN



I shared this devotion with the readers of LACED WITH GRACE, for more inspirational daily devotions check out the LWG site....www.lacedwithgrace.com

No comments: