Sunday, May 5, 2013

Obediance before sacrifice.

I grew up with 2 brothers. To make matters worse...I was the youngest and the only girl. Often times, I was the main target for teasing and I was the most easiest to shift blame on for things they did wrong. I guess that just goes with sibling rivalry.

Thankfully, no matter how much my two older brothers got on my nerves, if someone else was to mess with me or hurt me, nobody came to my side quicker than my two older brothers.

I wish the same was true for those we call our "brothers and sisters in the Lord". Standing by one another, that is. But often times, what happens is someone says something or doesn't say something like we think they ought, and we right away want to write them off.

People are leaving churches today over a misspoken word, or the changing of the color of the carpet or because the preacher stepped on their toes. Sometimes people are gone and we never know the reason for it. My husband is a preacher and I have first hand seen this. One week they are there and the next they are gone, for no apparent reason.

But that is never the case. No apparent reason, that is. There is ALWAYS a reason. But unfortunately, instead of dealing with the matters of the heart, we ignore it, or talk to all of the wrong people about it and we go on, from church to church, never dealing with the issue. Now the unresolved issue becomes bitterness, unforgiveness and disobedience.

Do you have unforgiveness in your heart and still sing praise and worship in church? Have you stopped going to a certain church because you do not like a brother there? Jesus says to make up with these people. Extend forgiveness BEFORE you offer up praise to Him...

Matthew 5:23-24  "Therefore if you bring your gift to the altar, and there remember that your brother has something against you, leave your gift there before the altar, and go your way. First be reconciled to your brother, and then come and offer your gift."

Samuel told King Saul that the Lord desires obedience BEFORE sacrifice. Do you have an offense against someone today?

Go to them, and them alone (Matthew 16:15) and make things right so you can freely offer up a heart of praise and thanksgiving to God. God will honor you for your obedience.

No comments: