Sunday, February 19, 2012

Listen to Meeee!

This morning as the preacher read a passage from the book of Isaiah, I couldn't help but hear it in the tone of a parents voice:

(Isaiah 51:1-2) "1 Listen to me, you that pursue righteousness, you that seek the Lord. Look to the rock from which you were hewn, and to the quarry from which you were dug. 2 Look to Abraham your father and to Sarah who bore you; for he was but one when I called him, but I blessed him and made him many."

So many times when my children were younger, I had to bring their attention back to what I was telling them by saying in a stern voice, "LISTEN to Meeee!" Listening is not always the easiest thing for a child to do.

As a child of God, I guess it is no different. How easily we get distracted. We lose focus. We make choices that keep us from seeing and hearing exactly what God is trying to tell us. I can very easily see God wanting to just grab our faces and say sternly to us..."LISTEN to Meeee!"

As I read the passage in Isaiah, verse 2 helped me to see how exactly I can listen more to God. The word "Look" really jumped off of the page to me. Abraham is a great example, a great mentor, for us to look to for seeing the blessings of God. But as I read this, I thought about my children. I thought about the times that they would have to look right at me in order to hear everything I was telling them.

I would suggest that in order to trust and obey God, we must listen to His voice and we must look right at Him and His ways. If we don't, we just might miss what He is telling us and miss out on the blessings that even Abraham experienced.

1 comment:

Denise said...

Amen, we must listen.