Tuesday, September 6, 2011

A PIECE OF MY HEART...the master of the wind

Today was a nice break from the blazing heat that we have endured here in the south. The temperatures dropped and there was a cool breeze outside. The effects of Storm Lee, no doubt. When I stepped outside, the wind was whipping around the leaves. Not only that, but the wind blew the papers out of my hand that I was holding. As I tried to grab the papers, a gush of wind blew them in a different direction. I must have darted to the left and then to the right at least 3 times before I was able to grab a hold of my papers.

It seems like the wind had control. Not only over my papers, but the wind had control over me.

I felt helpless (and even alittle embarrassed) as I was out in the yard dancing around in the wind. Sometimes this is also how I feel when the torrent winds of life come swirling around me. I feel helpless and sometimes even embarrassed that I cannot control the wind (the storms) in my life.

Just as I had no control over the wind blowing my papers all around, it is true that it is difficult to prevent the wind of adversity to blow also. It is virtually impossible to stop the storms from raging. The disciples found this out while out at sea. They discovered that Jesus does not always prevent storms from starting. But this does not mean that He is not in the storm with us.

"And they came to him, and awoke him, saying, Master, master, we perish. Then he arose, and rebuked the wind and the raging of the water: and they ceased, and there was a calm." (Luke 8:24)

When I think about what it must have been like that day out on the water, I realize that without the winds and the storm, there would not have been anything for God to calm. The raging winds was the neccesary ingredient for the disciples to trust in God.

Same is true for the storms that you and I face. Without the thrashing wind and violent storms that come in and out of our lives, we would not be able to have a testimony of God's faithful promise that He is the Master of the wind.



There is no storm too fearsome that My God cannot calm. He is indeed the Master of the wind!

No comments: