Monday, September 26, 2011

Meet me at the church!

At the young age of 17, her best friend asked her to meet him at the church. It was there that he took her hand and made a promise to love, honor and adore her for the rest of his days. That was 30 years ago and so far that promise has not been broken.

That 17 year old young girl was me, and my best friend is still my best friend after all of these years except now I also call him husband and father of our children.

30 years of marriage bliss. I know what you are thinking, 30 years of love, adoration and honor sounds almost too good to be true. It sounds like a fairy tale. I guess in a sort, it has been a fairy tale, except in my real life fairy tale, everything isn't always perfect.

Perfect isn't always what it is cracked up to be. After all, if things were always perfect, there would be nothing to work at or improve. Right? See, this might explain the high rate of divorce in our society. People are looking for a fairy tale that is perfect and if that is not what they get, they bail out. Instead of adhering to the godly principle for marriage as we see in the book of Genesis, society has given us excuses to break away from God's divine plan for man and woman...

But for Adam no suitable helper was found. So the Lord God caused the man to fall into a deep sleep; and while he was sleeping, he took one of the man’s ribs and closed up the place with flesh. Then the Lord God made a woman from the rib he had taken out of the man, and he brought her to the man. The man said, "This is now bone of my bones and flesh of my flesh; She shall be called ‘woman’, for she was taken out of man." (Genesis 2:18-25)

I like what Matthew Henry has to say about this... "Not made out of his head to top him, nor out of his feet to be trampled upon by him, but out of his side to be equal with him, under his arm to be protected, and near his heart to be beloved."

Matthew Henry in such an eloquent way summed up exactly what makes a marriage last 30 years and more. It not only takes love, honor and adoration but it also takes faithfulness, commitment and making good choices. The first and most important chose in marriage to ensure its longevity is choosing to put God at the head of your marriage.

When you combine all of these ingredients, your marriage can most certainly be fulfilling and even though not all of your days will be perfect, I can promise you it will be a beautiful fairy tale with a prince (your hubby) and a princess (you) and a King (God). Living happily ever after!

 

Happy Anniversary to my prince.
He is not only my rib but my life!

1 comment:

eph2810 said...

Happy Anniversary to you two :) - What a great milestone, my dear friend.

Thank you so much for sharing your wisdom and Matthew Henry had to say about the Genesis Scripture, love it.