Tuesday, April 12, 2011

A PIECE OF MY HEART...doubt

Have you ever doubted anything or anyone? I am sure we all have. Sometimes I hear things so absurd on the news that I often wonder, "did that REALLY happen?" Sometimes, in life, it is difficult to believe things. Several years ago, a good friend of mine dropped dead of a heart attack. He was in perfect health, there were no signs of any problems that should have led to his untimely death. I could not believe the news when I heard it, I doubted that it could be true, until I went to his house and saw his grieving spouse. Sometimes seeing is believing!

"He that knows nothing doubts nothing."   - French proverb

Sometimes doubt can be the opposite of faith. Doubting can mean that we are thinking something through.  We are trying to process and understand it. Sometimes we have to go through alittle bit of doubt to grasp the realm of certainty.

I don't think that doubting is necessarily sinful. Doubt is really a matter of the mind, while unbelief is a matter of the will. Doubt says, "I don't get it. Help me understand this." But unbelief says, "I get it. I don't like it. And I refuse to accept it."

If you have moments of doubt, you are not alone. Even great men and women of God have their moments of despair. Moses was ready to quit after listening to the Israelites complain for the umpteenth time.

Even the great apostle Paul was discouraged. He wrote about it in 2 Corinthians 1:8: "For we do not want you to be ignorant, brethren, of our trouble which came to us in Asia: that we were burdened beyond measure, above strength, so that we despaired even of life."

Do you have some doubt in your life? Give it to God and see what He can do with it.

And this has been a piece of my heart today!


No comments: