Monday, January 18, 2010

GOT MUSCLE?


It is a new year, which means that many of us have made some new goals and new committments. It always amazes me how many people at the first of the year make new goals of getting in better shape. But usually within a week or two, the goal is nothing more than a good thought.

So what happens between January 1st and January 15th? Usually something happens that discourages us, or takes our attention away from the very thing that we said we would do.

I was thinking about going to the gym to workout. But all of those machines just scare me. I don't even know how to use half of them! And how stupid am I going to feel when I am running on a treadmill, smack dab in the middle of two strong, toned and young beauties who have been coming to the gym for months now. I'll tell you how I would feel...I would feel old, out of shape and absolutely discouraged. So discouraged, that I probably will not want to go back tomorrow.

Doesn't that describe exactly how we feel sometimes when we feel alittle weak in our spiritual walk? Many times I feel strong, until the enemy throws a dart at me and knocks me right down on my backside. It is then that I feel so out of shape and no matter what I do, I could never ever regain my strength enough to overcome his attack. I feel so discouraged that I just don't know how or if things will ever turn around for me.

To overcome this weak feeling, we must be like that athlete going to the gym every morning. We must be focused, we must perservere, we must set our eyes on the prize and we must keep on keeping on. Nobody can increase their muscle and become strong by going to the gym only one time, but when they go back and go back for more, their persistance and repitition will eventually pay off. Their strength will be increased.

Spiritually speaking, we must allow God to be our personal trainer. We must go back and back again, praying and asking for His strength to cover our weaknesses. With His help, we can become strong, stronger than we were yesterday. Sure from time to time, we are still going to feel weak - but when we persevere and stay focused on God's strength, we can see and feel the difference that our training (our spiritual growth) is making.

"My grace is sufficient for you, My strength is made perfect in weakness." - Jesus Christ (1 Corinthians 12:9)

Have you had your workout today? (Spiritually speaking ... that is).

2 comments:

Debbie said...

This is good Laurie and goes along so well with what has been going on with me for a couple of days now. (check out my latest post if you get the chance). It seems as though I always get attacked in such a similiar way that I'd be ready for it by now. But somehow I always "fall" for the same old line..."You are NOT the example you want to be and anyone who REALLY knows you can see it plainly. Give it up." or give me ANY physical affliction and I am weak, whiney, and overwhelmed. Oh how wonderful it will be not to be fighting these human limitations someday. But you are soo right. Just keep on keeping on. Keep ourselves daily in the Word and as close to Him as we can get. Thanks for this reminder, I needed it. Have a wonderful day, Debbie

Denise said...

Such a great post.