Tuesday, September 30, 2008

A PIECE OF MY HEART...oscar the grouch

HAVE YOU EVER ENCOUNTERED
someone who in your mind was a total grouch?

For years, I can remember watching Sesame Street with my kids when they were young. One of my kids favorite characters was OSCAR the GROUCH. Oscar has come to be a most beloved American icon thru show biz, but that hasn't helped this most famous grouch to make his attitude more pleasant.

The most amazing thing about Oscar the Grouch is not the fact that he insults everyone he meets, nor is it amazing that he lives in a trash can. (by the way...I never understood where he got all of that trash that he threw out from his can???) The most amazing thing to me is HOW Oscar got his name.

In the early days of Sesame Street, Jim Henson and the Sesame Street director, Jon Stone would meet together at a Manhattan restaurant to discuss the show. The restaurant was called, "Oscar's Tavern". Consistently, the two were waited on by a man who was rude and grouchy. This waiter made such an impact on the two that he became famous (and probably didn't know it) thru the character of Oscar the Grouch.



I read the history of the show some time ago, and recently when I was waited upon at a restaurant by a seemingly unfriendly waitress - I remembered this story. God reminded me how important attitude is! As a Christian, we represent Jesus - in everything that we do. If we decide to be a "grouch" for the day - this will be the witness for Christ that will be displayed for all to see.

PROVERBS 15:15 " When a man is gloomy, everything seems to go wrong; when he is cheerful, everything seems right."

We all have "bad" days - but with God's help, we can control our feelings and behavior. If a television producer was watching you ...

  • what kind of character would they model after you?
  • Would your Christianity be seen?
May we all watch our attitude - someone may be watching!

AND THAT'S A PIECE OF MY HEART TODAY;

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

awe, yes...
thanks for the attitude reminder :)

Jennifer said...

Thanks, Laurie! I needed that this morning because I am feeling very grouchy today. Even though, no one sees me and I might not verbally speak with anyone during the day, my attitude affects everything I do or try to do.

Perfect scripture because it is so true. I'm listening to my praise and worship music and reading God's Word right now. I want things to go right for me today.

Thanks again!
Love,
Jenn

Mary Beth said...

Reminds me of an old kids' musical song..."are you grumbly hateful or humbly grateful... What's your attitude... Do you grumble and groan or let it be known your grateful for all God's done for you."

lori said...

I am late getting around from The Well...and I read this first...I DID NOT know that Oscar the Grouch story...You know your words are just perfect for ...our actions, our body language, our expressions.....I PREACH it daily around here....

no grumbling...and I'm glad I came today and got a double dose!!
peace,
lori

Laurie Ann said...

Great attitude reminder, Laurie! I didn't know that about Oscar. I was never a big fan of his on Sesame Street. I guess I've never been a big fan of grouches, LOL!