Friday, August 17, 2018

Letting Go and Letting God

TODAY'S DEVOTION..

Every mom's heart longs to cling to her children. Sometimes loosening our grip is the best choice that we can make.

I remember taking our son to college and how difficult it was to leave him there. I cried nearly the entire 7 hour drive home. The tears didn't end there either. For weeks I cried at the grocery store purchasing his favorite cereal; I cried every time I passed his bedroom; I cried every phone call he made to me. It was ridiculous how consumed I had become with his absence.

Finally, one day I was talking with a friend and she made a comment that changed my way of thinking. "He's not gone forever, he's just at college". Wow! She was right, I had become more emotional about his leaving and less trusting God for his well being.

I can only imagine how emotional it must have been for the mother of Moses (Jochebed) to leave him. It was after king Pharaoh decreed for all Hebrew male babies to be killed that this mother hid her baby son for 3 months. When it came evident that she could no longer keep Moses hidden, the Bible tells us she let go...

"She got a basket made of papyrus reeds and waterproofed it with tar and pitch. She put the baby in the basket and laid it among the reeds along the bank of the Nile River." (Exodus 2:3b)

I cannot imagine how Jochebed felt that day. Somehow leaving my child at college seemed less frightening than this. While the stories of these two mothers seem different, two things remain the same. Both Jochebed and I trusted God and we both believed God had a plan and purpose for our child's life.

Whether you have sent your child off to kindergarten, high school, college or across seas; can I remind you that God is in control and because He has our children in the palm of His Hand, we don't always have to.

PRAYER: Lord, help me to not over stress about things that You already have in control. Give me peace, confidence and trust that whatever phase of life my child is in that You are always with them. AMEN

BLESSINGS TODAY. Laurie

@copyright2018 laurieadams


No comments: