Friday, September 23, 2016

DAILY DEVO...why do bad things happen to good people?

As Pastors, I would say that the #1 question we are asked is, "why do bad things happen to good people?"

If you are experiencing some bad things in your life, it does not mean you are not a good person! Just yesterday I received 3 messages from 3 different people asking for prayer over bad situations in their life.

Bad things happen. Believe me if any of us could choose, none of us would include in our day a flat tire, or getting sick or a terrible crisis in our family. Oh no, instead we would choose promotions at work, no traffic jams, green lights all the way, no problems, no worries...just clear sailing.

But it just so happens that we are not in charge. Oh sure we can choose when to leave the house and where to eat lunch but God is in charge of everything in-between.

I love what Jeremiah once admitted to the Lord...

"O Lord, I know the way of man is not in himself; it is not in man who walks to direct his own steps." (Jeremiah 10:23)

Jeremiah recognized that his steps were not ordered by man but by God. I do not know why God allows the so called "bad stuff" to happen in our lives but I do know that for me, the significant life lessons usually don't come from the mountaintop. Instead, the greatest lessons come from heartache, pain and difficulties.

Today if you are surrounded by bad things, I want to remind you that these are not just some random things; these are specific times and events that God wants to use to strengthen us and perhaps stretch us to lean upon Him.

We are weak but He is strong! Lean upon God and watch how He turns your bad into something good.

BLESSINGS. Laurie

No comments: