Monday, June 1, 2015

TODAY'S DAILY...don't take offense, take one for the team

Today, I wanted to address an issue that I dare say all of us struggle with.


Offense


It's that one word (action) that climbs all over us when someone says something or perhaps doesn't say something that we expect.


It's a look, a tone, a missed appointment or just someone cutting you off in traffic.


Most of the time, our offense is conjured up in our own mind. We overthink the look or the tone or we misunderstand the missed appointment or we have no empathy for poor driving skills.


The Apostle Paul had issues with offense too. Paul chose to write a letter to the believers at Corinth rather than meet them face to face. The reason is because Paul's first visit was difficult and he did not want to inflict more pain on the people, the church or himself.


Even though Paul's heart was pure in motive, the Corinthians assumed his actions were due to selfish reasons.


I don't think it's a coincidence that Paul's letter was instructing to forgive, right at the time offense was happening all around him.


"What I have forgiven, if there was anything to forgive, I have forgiven in the sight of Christ for your sake, in order that Satan might not outwit us." -2 Corinthians 2:10b-11



The work of offense is a work of the enemy to cause division, and unnecessary stress in our relationships. Next time that green eyed monster rises up, react in love instead of acting upon being offended.


If I've offended you...forgive me. And I will choose to love and forgive you as well if you offend me.
It's a win/win for us and a lose/lose for the enemy! Let's take one for the team! 🙌


No comments: