Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Is your prayer life a novel or a sitcom?

I love to write. It is my passion and I would love it if I could devote everyday, all day, to my writing. The truth is, writing takes time. I have been working on a book. A Christian novel. It is taking forever to write! It seems like I can only write one paragraph at a time. Seems to me, writing a sitcom would be easier, and faster!

Many of us look at our prayer life, and expect to see a sitcom, a beginning and an end in just 30 short minutes. We don't want to wait for answers. We want our joy back NOW. We want our healing NOW. We want clear answers NOW. Not tomorrow, not next week...but NOW! We don't want to wait anymore for anything, and prayers are no different.

Miracles can happen quickly, in fact, I have firsthand seen instant healing. But more often than not, I have seen miracles happen slowly. All throughout the Bible, we see accounts of people waiting upon the Lord. I think of David or Abraham, whom waited years and years for God to deliver His promises. From waiting on a son out of barrenness to hiding in a cave to flee from his enemies, these men had unwavering faith.

And what about the birth of Jesus? Many people predicted the coming of the Messiah for generations before it actually took place. All of these miracles, and testimonies took years to happen.

I'm glad that God is writing a novel instead of a sitcom of my life. Instead of wrapping up all of my needs in a quick minute, He is setting the stage. Molding each character. And writing down the plot to every last detail. All of this takes time. Sometimes years and years.

While writing my christian novel, I have to have some twists and turns throughout the pages before reaching the end, likewise, God has to take us thru some twists and turns before arriving at the perfect ending for our life. It may seem like it is taking a long time, but trust me, it will be worth the wait.

ISAIAH 40:31  "But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk and not be faint."
PRAYER: "Dear Lord, thank You for being patient with me and for writing each chapter of my life. Help me to be patient and wait upon You to finalize my story. I don't know what mysteries lie ahead, but I am trusting You to unfold my story and help me to get to my happy ending." AMEN

1 comment:

Denise said...

I love your prayer.