Tuesday, July 24, 2012

He loves me, He loves me not!

Today's younger generation seems to be constantly looking for love. Unfortunetly, many of them are looking in all of the wrong places. Our teen daughter has been dating her high school sweetheart for almost 2 years and I am thankful that she has found someone that has remained faithful to her for so long. Many of her peers seem to go thru dating relationships like they do a toothbrush...changing them every 6 weeks.

It seems that young couples today base their love on chance instead of committment, faithfulness and trust. Sometimes giving your heart is taking a big chance, but love does not have to be so complicated. I think we make things more complicated than neccesary.

 Taking a chance on love reminds me of the silly game we use to play as young girls with a daisy. "He loves me" "He loves me not" "He loves me" "He loves me not" ...with each pull of the petal, hoping so desperately that the last petal will be "He loves me!"
And if for some chance, the last petal falls on "He loves me not", we would believe it. It took several years to pass before I came to realize that true love was not based on chance.

But even as an adult, I find myself playing the "He loves me, He loves me not" game with God. As silly as it seems to pick at flower petals to determine someones love, it is just as silly to question Gods love for us...
  • I get a promotion at work...HE LOVES ME!
  • My hours get changed at work...HE LOVES ME NOT!
  • I sustain no injuries in a car accident...HE LOVES ME!
  • The other driver sues me for damages to their car...HE LOVES ME NOT!
 
Romans 5:8 but God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.

God's love for us is not determined by any conditions. If we are disappointed, He still loves us. When we are happy, He loves us. When we are discouraged, He loves us and even when we mess up...He still loves us! There is no need to pull at flower petals to determine God's love. His love is not a love of chance, it is a love that will last for all eternity!

PRAYER: Dear Lord, thank you for taking a chance on me and loving me so unconditionally. Help me to remember that no matter what I go thru, Your love remains. It never changes. I never have to doubt whether You love me or not because You will always love me. Thank you God! AMEN
  

1 comment:

Denise said...

I join you in this prayer my friend.