Monday, April 23, 2012

A PIECE OF MY HEART...can I be satsified?

Recently, I began to seriously watch my sugar and fat intake. Yes, I have become one of those label readers, turning over every can and box I pick up at the grocery store and checking the label for amounts of fat, sugar, carbs and sodium. Most of the things I pick up end up right back on the shelf because the numbers are just too high.
I have been keeping a log in my phone with a calorie counter app I found to keep track of my daily intake. I am happy to report that my fat and sugar intake has been low, and so has my calorie intake. My family has been alittle upset with me because they feel like my daily calories are too low.

It is difficult for them to see how I could possibly be satisfied with such low numbers.

Honestly, to be satisfied with a diet or a exercise regimen is truly a matter of the mind and heart. You have to first make up your mind that you are going to make some changes in your eating and physical activities. Secondly, you have to put your heart into following thru with your decision to eat right, exercise and live healthy.

Now that I think about it, this is exactly what it takes to not only be satisfied physically but also spiritually. To be satisfied in this life, we must make up our mind to follow Christ and with our whole heart, chase after Him and the things that He offers.

Truth be told, because of the message that the media and society throws out at us, we are nothing more than circumstance seekers. The world teaches us to measure our contentment according to our circumstances. For too long we have been shopping at Burger King...trying to "have it our way". Think about it...
  • When we buy something but end up not liking it...we return it!
  • If a relationship seems too difficult...we end it!
  • If we don't like our job...we quit it!
  • When our neighbor buys a new car...we want it!
Face it, there will always be something that we want, or that we could improve on. But trying to find satisfaction in our circumstances will only leave us disappointed and discouraged, and sometimes very lonely. But when we place our trust in God for all of the things that we need, (I didn't say want...there is a BIG difference!) He will provide every need that we have. Having Godly contentment will far exceed any circumstance.
 "Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.  And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."
                                             Philippians 4:6, 7
As I chew on this awesome promise of receiving Gods peace, I find I can truly be satisfied. In Him. Can you?
 

1 comment:

Denise said...

Yes, He satisys like no other.