Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Before the rooster crows...

There is no doubt in my mind that when someone you love betrays you, it is difficult to understand and sometimes difficult to move past. However, betrayal and denial is often times misunderstood. When someone is the betrayer, I would suggest that they are not fully understanding what love is.

"I tell you the truth, before the rooster crows, you will disown me three times." -Jesus to Peter (John 13:38)

Peter lacked the understanding of love. He thought he loved Jesus but clearly Peter did not walk by Christ's love for him. What came pouring out of his mouth did not match with what was going on in his heart.

"I am prepared to die with you" -Peter (Luke 22:33)

But Jesus already knew his heart.

"I tell you Peter, before the cock crows this day, you will deny three times that you know Me." (Luke 22:34)

Often times I think we deny those around us the love that they truly deserve. Peter denied Jesus, but later regretted it. Regret is a sad place to be. It is crippling to ones spiritual welfare. It is not where God would have us remain if we have been betrayed or denied. Jesus didn't want Peter to stay there. That is why after His resurrection we see a different scenario...

Peter, do you love Me?
And Peter said, Lord, You know I love You.
Again, He said, Peter, do you love Me?
Lord, You know I love You.
And once again, Peter, do you love Me?
And Peter said, Lord, You know everything. You know that I love You.

It was then that Peter fully understood love, the kind of love that comes from the Father. It wasn't just words spoken, Peter now had love that came from the heart.  "Then feed My sheep!" Jesus responded. Peter was now ready to act upon his love.

Betrayal has left me feeling crippled in the past, but honestly, until I knew who I was in Christ I was limited in what I could do for Him and others. I realized that no matter who betrays me, gossips about me, throws stones at me, or stabs me in the back that there is a love, a genuine love that I can have for my betrayers.

God knows exactly what all of that feels like, He sent His Son to die for us and in the process He was falsely accused, spit upon, called names, lied about and nailed to a wooded cross where He suffered in anguish and bled to death. All because He loved both His friend and His foe.

There isn't anything spoken or done to us that God does not see. He understands. And because of His great love is why we can also walk in love and bring what John speaks about to fruition...

"By this, everyone will know that you are My disciples, if you love one another." John 13:35

Make sure you love and forgive ...before the rooster crows.

No comments: