Friday, July 8, 2011

No Regrets!

Today I shared the following devotion with the readers over at LACED WITH GRACE! Please visit take time to visit this great Christian website that shares uplifting and encouraging devotions daily. www.lacedwithgrace.com
Each day I pray that I can make it to the end of the day without having any regrets. Some days it is difficult to complete everything on my “to do” list. When I have unfinished business left on my daily agenda, I pray that something has not been overlooked that I will regret tomorrow.

Regrets come not only in daily agendas, but often times a person can be affected by the mountains of regret that hovers over them. In relationships, I find that we drift in and out of each others lives. The drifting can occur intentionally or because it is just unavoidable. When we become separated from people, it could be permanently or just temporary. Either way, separation is never easy.

Two of my four children live in another city. One of them in another state. Even though I am not in their daily lives, our relationship still remains intact. We have a strong, thriving and loving relationship with one another. I may have to miss out on some special days with them because of the distance, but I never regret that my kids are happy, living on their own and making their mark in their world. Our time of separation is never marked by regret or remorse because they are just a phone call or text away.

But what about the relationships where distance becomes not just miles, but literal emotional and physical distance? Often times, I wonder if we don’t stay connected with people, if the distance could be equated with lost love? I have found that distant relatives are called that because they are exactly that…distant!

Broken relationships can bring so much regret. Many times if we lose someone because of death or divorce, we tend to ask the question, “What if?” especially if our relationship had been less than perfect. Sometimes we ask those kind of questions way too late. Maybe after someone has died and we can never get the answer to our questions.

I am reminded of King David. He became heartbroken over not repairing the broken relationship he had with his son, Absalom. King David learned way too late that death can slam the door of reconciliation completely shut.

“And for the whole army the victory that day was turned into mourning, because on that day the troops heard it said, ‘The king is grieving for his son.’ ” 2 SAMUEL 19:2

It is my prayer that I can live my life generously to others, and love so abundantly that I have no regrets. Loving during the living years is much easier than asking the “what ifs” after it may be too late. Living life with no regrets may mean that you will need to call someone today, send them an email or a personal letter and initiate reconciliation.

Think about it, we were all separated from God’s love and forgiveness but because of the Cross, we have been reconciled:

2 CORINTHIANS 5:18 “Now all things are of God, Who has reconciled us to Himself through Jesus Christ, and has given us the ministry of reconciliation.”

LIVE LIFE WITH NO REGRETS!

I dedicate this devotion to my Dad, whom I was separated from for 40 years. 7 years ago, I met him for the first time and reconciled with him. I didn’t want to live my life with any regrets. Yesterday, my Dad went to be with the Lord. I am so grateful for a loving, forgiving and merciful Heavenly Father that forgave me so that I could also extend forgiveness. I am living my life with no regrets!

1 comment:

Karen said...

Laurie, I praise God that you were able to have a relationship with your father at last. My children and grandchildren live far away now and it breaks my heart. Thank you for a beautiful post.