Tuesday, May 17, 2011

A PIECE OF MY HEART...wing or weight

Recently, I read about a great concert violinist who was asked what her secret was for her great performances. She answered, "Planned  neglect." She further explained that anything that would keep her from practicing and playing well must be neglected.

Perhaps, some of us could use some planned neglect in our lives. Sometimes we have more clutter and junk that stands in our way of doing things that God wants us to do.

 Have you ever tried to move? It doesn't matter if you lived somewhere one year or ten years, we all accumulate junk along the way. The same is true in our spiritual lives. Periodically, it is good to clean house and get rid of those things that need to be neglected so we can be all that we can be for Him.

HEBREWS 12:1 "Let us strip off every weight that slows us down, especially the sin that so easily trips us up. And let us run with endurance the race God has set before us."

Did you notice a distinction in that above referenced passage? Not only are we to lay aside the sin but also the weights that hinder our progress.

Sin is easily recognized when it is blatant. Sexual sins, stealing, lying, murder. But what about those things that weigh us down that aren't always recognized as sin such as gossiping, backbiting, name calling, slander, prejudice. Such things can certainly hinder us, not only in our relationships with others but most definitely in our relationship with God.

When it comes to "planned neglect", I wonder if we can neglect some things that are keeping us from God? Are the things and the people that you are associated with a "wing" or a "weight"? Do they bring you closer to God or further from Him?

It may be time to strip away some weight in our life!

and this has been a piece of my heart;

2 comments:

Shanda said...

"planned neglect"
What a great statement. I have to admit that even my blog can hinder my walk as it cuts back on my time with the Lord at times. I really have to monitor it.

Beth in NC said...

I love that! Planned neglect. Sometimes I wonder if my computer needs to be neglected! Sigh ...