Wednesday, December 15, 2010

WEDNESDAY WEEKLY WORD...there's no place like home!

There’s no place like home for the holidays.
That is, unless Christmas finds you home alone. Every year more and more seniors and young adults find themselves spending the holidays alone. At a time when families come together to catch up on the latest news, create lasting memories, and just enjoy each other’s company, untold numbers of singles (whether by divorce, death of a spouse or unmarried) will spend the holidays alone.

In last weeks YOUR OPINION MATTERS POLL, I polled the readers the following question, "Who will you be spending the holidays with this year?" The top 3 responses were:

1. 50% said that they will spend it with their children.
2. Another 50% responded and said they will spend it with their in-laws.
3. 33% voted and said their spouse.

The percentage that concerned me most was the 16% that voted and said that they will spend it alone. Does that not just grip your heart? It does mine. I can understand the longing that one feels to be with their family on the holidays. We live hundreds of miles from any of our extended family and it has been years since we have gathered with our parents and siblings for the holidays. There is always a sadness in my heart on Christmas Day to not be able to spend time with them.

But for others, this kind of sadness is much more than just one day a year, it is a daily struggle because circumstances have found them to be alone. The holidays only intensify this lonely, isolated feeling for them. This year God has placed a couple of ladies in my church on my heart that have recently lost their husbands, I know that this first Christmas without them will be so difficult. I asked God what can I do to reach out to them?

In my soul searching effort to create love and joy for someone alone, I came up with this top ten list of ways we can reach out to someone spending the holiday alone...

TOP TEN LIST: "Putting MERRY back into someones Christmas!"

10. Be willing to listen and to give hugs.
9. Sit with someone who is alone during Christmas church services.
8. Invite them to go shopping with you.
7. Bake a plate of cookies and go visit them.
6. Offer to help them decorate their house or tree.
5. Invite them to help you with Christmas baking.
4. Invite them along with your family to look at Christmas lights.
3. Invite them to Christmas Day dinner at your house.
2. Don't wait until the last minute to invite them.
AND
1. Pray for them!

There's no place like home for the holidays...
open your home and your heart to someone who doesn't have a place to go. After all, isn't that what God did for us? He has prepared a place for us to live forever. A place that will have no sickness, no sadness, only joy and love. Let's share some of His joy and love this Christmas Season!



John 14:1-3 (1) “Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God ; trust also in me. (2) My Father’s house has plenty of room; if that were not so, would I have told you that I am going there to prepare a place for you? (3) And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am."

1 comment:

Linda said...

Christmas: I was up in my attic getting out decorations and my extra Nativity set was there. A clear voice said give it to Jessica. She is our neighbor and our neighborhood has had problems with their children. I finally had to confront her. Well I am through God's strength trying to help and encourage her ( hubby is never sobber when he visits us) So she was going out to the mail box and I asked her if she had a nativity set, in her blank eyes I could see she did not know what it was.I asked her if she knew what it was and she said no. I shared with her what it was and told her I had an extra and she said she would like it. So I hurried and brought it to her. I asked her if she needed help setting it up and she said no but if she did she would let me know. We just need to be still now and then; Be still and Know I Am God. Christmas is about Christ and I pray that a Nativity Set would reflect in their hearts what Christmas is all about. Blessings