Tuesday, July 27, 2010

A PIECE OF MY HEART...what am I sensitive to?

If I had to describe myself to someone, I would say that I am a sensitive person. It is of great importance to me that those around me are being taken care of. In a Mary/Martha world, I would say that I am a "Martha". I am the one busy making sure all of the dinner guests have exactly what they need. I sit down last at the dinner table. If someone needs a refill on their beverage, I jump up to get it. It is important to me that all the details have been thought out and that each and every person who comes to sit at my dinner table leaves satisfied.

For anything less to happen would crush my spirit. It would simply devastate me. I am simply a sensitive Martha in my own flesh who wants to create a happy place for everyone!

I put so much into everything that I do, whether it is a family dinner or a well planned out Sunday School lesson. To know that someone was less than satisfied because of something I did or didn't do would simply break my heart. To one degree this is a good characteristic. Like Martha, it is good to plan, prepare and work hard. But on the other hand, it can be a stumbling block.

The Martha's in the world can lose sight of what is really important. When we busy ourselves with too many details, we often  miss out on the ministry opportunities God places before us. We not only become stumbling blocks to those that we could be ministering to, but, we stumble and become more sensitive about the event than God.

ROMANS 14:13 "Therefore let us not judge one another anymore, but rather determine this - not to put an obstacle or a stumbling block in a brother's way."

Today, my heart's cry is that I would stop being so sensitive about what others think and be more sensitive to what God thinks. I enjoy being a Martha but I don't want to miss out on sitting at His feet because of my over-sensitivity to creating happy places.

and this has been a piece of my heart today;


2 comments:

Karen said...

As another Martha type, I can relate to your post...

Sharing your heart's cry today...

Denise said...

Joining in your heart's cry.