Tuesday, June 22, 2010

A PIECE OF MY HEART...hanging on when things get tough

One of the hardest things to do is hanging on when things get tough. Sometimes I find it easier to just throw in the towel and give up then to press in and keep going. Recently, I was given a test that really pushed my endurance to the limit.

As many of you know, I just returned from a 2 week missions trip to the country of Ecuador. On the second night of our trip, I took a tumble and fell down (hard) on a cement step by the pool. I knew instantly that something was not right in my body. I could barely walk. Each day I had hoped the pain would ease, but it didn't. It hurt to walk. It hurt to sit. It hurt to bend. It hurt to stand. It just plain hurt.

There were a few days that I just did not think I could keep on going because of the intense pain. But I was determined to finish the job that I had started. Even though my body was weary, God was the One sustaining me! He helped me to keep on going.

GALATIANS 6:9 "Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up."

Since returning home to the states, I have found out that the intense pain was the result of a broken coccyx. As I think about the bumpy bus rides, all of the mudding and scraping I did and the long, bumpy airplane ride home - there is no doubt in my mind that it would have been easy for me to give up and quit but because I leaned upon Gods strength, I was able to endure what seems impossible with the human eye.

What God did for me during my tough time, He will do for you. Next time you feel weary, tired and like you can't hold on anymore ... remember God will hold your hands up and secure your steps. Don't give up. Keep on keeping on.

"We are all on our way somewhere. We'll get there if we just keep going."  - BARBARA JOHNSON
and that is a piece of my heart today;

3 comments:

c said...

Laurie,

Thanks for sharing and encouraging! Going through my own tough time right now and needed some help through it... God is gracious!

Cora

Denise said...

Amen, keep on keeping on. Praying for you.

Karen said...

I have had a broken tailbone and IT HURTS! I applaud your stick-to-it-ive-ness and thank the Lord for seeing you through. God bless you.