Wednesday, July 29, 2009

WEDNESDAY WEEKLY WORD ...what enslaves you today?

FREEDOM
Many of us have no idea what it would be like to be enslaved. Even though, if I asked each of you, you might say your place of employment may seem like enslavement. But nothing compares to the kind of enslavement that people like Corrie Ten Boom experienced.

Corrie Ten Boom was imprisoned by the Nazi's during World War II for sheltering Jews. Her experience was, as you can imagine, traumatic. When she was finally released from her imprisonment, she had a hard time seeing it all as real...

"I could not believe it. Perhaps we were only going to the Siemans factory; tonight we would march back to camp. But at the top of the hill we turned left, toward the center of the small town. I could feel my feet swelling in the tight new shoes, but I bit my lip and made myself stride along. I imagined the guard turning around, pointing a scornful finger: 'Edema! Send her back to camp."-CORRIE TEN BOOM
After Corrie Ten Boom and the other captives were released, it must have been difficult for them to live in joy and peace. Certainly doubt and denial became a part of their every day living. This part of history reminds me of the returned exiles that returned from Babylon when they rebuilt their temple and rebuilt their culture. At first, the people shed tears, but then Nehemiah told them to do something...

"Go and eat what is rich, drink what is sweet and send portions to those who have nothing prepared, since today is holy to our Lord. Do not grieve, because your strength comes from rejoicing in the Lord." -NEHEMIAH 8:10

How many times do we want to do exactly what the exiles did here in Nehemiah!

In last week's YOUR OPINION MATTERS POLL, I polled the readers the following question: "When you suffer an injustice, how much are you likely to talk about it?" The top 3 responses are...

1. 42% of those voting said that they would only talk to God about it.
2. 28% of the readers voted and said that they would vent about it to one or two close friends.
3. 14% voted and said that they would spout off a few times and then drop it.

Sounds to me like some of us ARE much like the exiles ... we whine and we cry! I love what Nehemiah instructed the people to do, the same instruction is good for you and me today:
"Do not grieve because your strength comes from rejoicing in the Lord!"

WHAT ENSLAVES YOU TODAY?
Why not trust God and rejoice in His freedom!

WEDNESDAY WEEKLY WORD is a weekly post where I share a personal study I have done that week. Today I have shared some thoughts of a study that I am currently doing on being enslaved by things that chain us. It is my prayer that you will find freedom from the things that keep you from being all you can be in Christ!

1 comment:

Debra Kaye said...

Laurie,

What great counsel! Thank you for sharing this Word with us today!

Blessings to you!