Thursday, March 3, 2011

THANKFUL THURSDAY...what are you proud of?

There are two things that I am really proud of. My kids and my husband. Things that may seem small to you, like winning a little league game or getting a "A" on a test are really proud moments for me.

In last weeks YOUR OPINION MATTERS POLL, I polled the readers the following question: "What is the one thing that you are most proud of?" The top 3 answers were:

1. 55% voted and said they are most proud of their children.
2. 22% responded and said they are most proud of their spouse.
3. 11% said they are proud of their testimony.

I would say that all of us are proud of something. It is a good thing to show honor and respect for those things but when our attitude becomes prideful, that is a different story. Having a prideful spirit is something different than being proud of something. Having pride takes the honor and attention from something or someone and is shifted to being all about us.

Its an ageless joke that we have all heard...women who say men will drive around for hours before stopping for directions. Honestly, I think some of us live our lives just like that. Men don't like to stop for directions because their pride might get hurt that they couldn't find their way, but the truth of it is, that we allow pride to get in the way of finding out the direction God may have for our lives.

PSALM 10:4  "In his pride the wicked does not seek him; in all his thoughts there is no room for God."

Christians cannot manipulate the map of life alone. We need God and we need the direction of the Holy Spirit. But so many times pride settles in and we think we can find the way or that our way is better than God's way. But instead, we just end up in a bunch of dead ends and lost just like the male driver trying to find his way without a road map.

Jesus was so different than us. He depended upon His Father for direction. He was flawless and did not have pride like we do, but yet, He didn't try to make it on His Own, He sought His Father's way.

Today, I am thankful that even in the times that pride gets in the way, I can always find my way back to my Father who will lead me, guide me, and put me on the right path. It is His direction that I seek, anything less will only lead me down a wrong road and in a dead end!

IRIS is hosting THANKFUL THURSDAY this month. Please share your grateful heart with ours over there... http://www.eph2810.com/ .

1 comment:

Whidbey Woman said...

Hi Laurie, I'm a little slow in getting started tonight. Somehow, the fact that it is Thursday slipped by me. LOL. Whereas my memory is lacking, the blessings are not. God is good! All the time.
Enjoyed reading your post, and the poll results. So interesting! Have a great weekend.