Monday, March 28, 2011

Going the extra mile!

Last week, we took advantage of school being out for spring break and took a road trip to Wisconsin to visit some of our family. It had been quite some time since we have seen some of them. Traveling from Arkansas makes the drive a long and exhausting trip. A mere 795 miles which equates to about 12 hours of constant driving. But when we finally pulled into my mother's driveway, we were so glad to finally be at our final destination.

We hadn't been sitting in my mother's kitchen but a few minutes when we heard a knock on her door. It was late in the evening and we couldn't imagine who could be coming to her place at such a late hour. To my surprise, in walked my 2 older brothers and one of my nieces. My oldest brother and his daughter drove all the way from Ohio to surprise me. The three of us siblings had not been all together in 13 years. It was a wonderful surprise! Knowing that he drove all night long, 8 hours on the road, over 500 miles to come see his baby sister was definitely going the extra mile in my book!


(Me acting up with big Brothers Don and Larry. Their daughters, Sarah, Abby and Nikki. My daughter Anna, and our mother!)

This small act of love made me wonder just how far I would go for my brothers and sisters in Christ...

Would I be willing to go the extra mile for one of them?
What would I give up for someone in need?
Would I give my time?
Would I give money?
Would I put my needs aside to minister to someone in trouble?
How far would I go to express my christian love for someone?

Matthew 25:37 “Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39 When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’ 40 “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’

In order to fulfill what Matthew is speaking of, we must be willing to go the extra mile. How far are you willing to travel for the least of your brothers and sisters?
 

1 comment:

I am Roni said...

So nice to see you and your family being complete. What a lovely day. ;)