Thursday, October 22, 2009

THANKFUL THURSDAY ... horseshoes

One of my favorite things about having cookouts with family and friends would have to be the activities that go on out in the backyard. Our backyard is set up to initiate family fun! We have a firepit in the middle of the yard and off to one corner is a tetherball. Oh the games, the fun and the laughter that have been had around that pole! One of the newest things that we have added to our "fun" backyard is the game of horseshoes.

Now, the first thing that you will notice about horseshoes is when you pick one of the horseshoes up, it feels quite weighty. But my favorite part is when you throw it, hearing that "clank" sound. (that is if you get it close enough to the pole). Often times when I play horseshoes, I do not hear the "clank" sound often enough, and what happens real quick is that I get frustrated as my throw attempts get further and further from the target.

Isn't that just like life sometimes? If the horseshoe represented our cares and the pole represented Christ, how frustrating it would be if throwing our "weighty" cares out did not get close to Christ. With alittle bit of concentration and alot of motivation, with each throw - we would not miss the mark!

If we could just imagine ourselves casting one of our problems on the Lord with each toss ... imagine how much better we would feel by the end of the game! I think hitting the mark, or casting our burdens on the Lord is all in the release. Sometimes it may feel more like a boomerang than a horseshoe, but the key to the game is all in the release.

Have you released your burdens upon Him today? I am thankful today for the promises that God gives us ...it causes us to cast off what we don't need so we can hold onto what we do need!

"Cast your cares on the Lord and He will sustain you." - Psalm 55:22

"Cast all your anxiety on Him because He cares for you." - 1 Peter 5:7

"In the multitude of my anxieties within me, Your comforts delight my soul." - Psalm 94:19


What are you thankful for today? Lynn is hosting THANKFUL THURSDAY this week, stop by and join your grateful heart with ours! Find more thanks HERE!



You can also find a devotion that I have written for AT THE WELL today. It is entitled, "GROWING OLD TOGETHER". I would love for you to stop by and read it. CLICK here to find this devotion.

5 comments:

cat said...

Thank you! I needed exactly this message today.

Denise said...

Such a great post sweetie.

Debbie said...

Oh Laurie I just love the illustrations you always come up with to tie real life to the scriptures. You do it soo well. This was a GREAT post. I am afraid I can toss pretty well, but a lot of my ARE boomerangs though, haha My kids had a teetherball when they were growing up and it was ALWAYS swinging. Attracked kids all over the neighborhood. Your backyard sounds like a fun place. Have a good day. I'm off to read your devotional post. Blessings, Debbie

Melanie said...

Oh, how glad I am that turning our burdens over to God hits the mark!!

Happy THankful Thursday, Laurie!

bp said...

I really like the image this gives me of casting my burdens on the Lord and hearing the clank of the horseshoes.