Tuesday, October 27, 2009

A PIECE OF MY HEART...Becoming a BIG girl!


We live in a world that teaches us such things as:

"The early bird gets the worm."
"No pain No gain."
"There is no such thing as a free lunch."
"You get what you pay for."

It seems that we buy into the the theory that people get what they deserve. But how many times do we endure hardships and trials and find ourselves saying, "I do NOT deserve this!" We all believe that we have a right to fairness and when we don't get it - we feel violated.

When difficulties come my way, I often find myself saying:

"This is not fair"
"I don't deserve this."
"I work too hard for this to happen."
"Why is this happening to me?"
(whine ~ whine ~ whine)

Deep down what I am really doing is being a little girl that wants to live in a perfect little world where everything is perfectly fair!

Would I really want to live in such a world?

 After all, living in such a perfect place would  mean there is no room for grace (receiving what I don't deserve). And there would be no room for mercy either (being spared from the punishment that I deserve).

Realizing that I won't always get what I deserve and most importantly I won't deserve some things that I get will move me into a more mature thinking of what "fairness" is all about. Fairness is not what I seek from God. Giving me fairness (what I really deserve) would mean that my sins would not already be paid for.

Psalm 51:1 "Have mercy on me, O God, because of Your unfailing love. Because of your great compassion, blot out the stain of my sins."

Is life fair all of the time? no
Is God just and merciful? always

Today, I started out as a little girl hoping for a perfect world but I am praying that tomorrow I can mature and move on to becoming a big girl! Because of His unfailing love ... I know I can do it!

 And that is a piece of my heart today!


3 comments:

Denise said...

Amen, well said sweetie.

Debbie said...

Oh Laurie is this ever true. Thank God I don't get what a truly deserve! And I have found myself just in the last couple of days doing a little whinning about what I didn't feel was the least bit fair. This was a good reminder. Have a great day. Blessings, Debbie

Tea with Tiffany said...

GREAT post today. I loved the way you shared this. Thanks for reading my silly and yet serious post about zebras.