Friday, October 30, 2009

In a heartbeat!


As many of you know, I married my high school sweetie over 28 years ago. (if you are trying to do the math ... yes I was just a mere young miss when that happened!) I will never forget one of the most memorable things that my husband said early in our marriage.

We had gone to a revival at a church (not our home church). I don't remember what the evangelist preached about that night, but I do remember the evangelist coming off of the platform and coming down to where we sat. He came straight over to my husband and asked him this: "Would you die for her?" and he pointed straight at me. It almost seemed like everything in the room got still, because I swear you could hear a pin drop at that moment.

"In a heartbeat!" - so said my husband of just a few short months.

Thank goodness over the past 28 years he has not had to demonstrate this deep affection for me in this particular way. But just knowing that my husband loves me so much that he would take a bullet for me, he would jump in front of a speeding car for me, and he would go to the ends of the earth for me is such a soothing feeling. What a hero my husband is to me!

Some people long for what I have. They long for a husband that is devoted. They long for someone to love them so unconditionally. They long to have an assurance that someone really does care. It's nice to have a hero like my husband, but in reality my #1 hero is Jesus Christ.

He has already died for me. He took my pain and my anguish. And He took yours too. If He had to do it all over again, I am confident that He would do it again in a heartbeat. All because He loves us so much.

Isaiah 43:4 "I'd sell off the whole world to get you back, trade the creation just for you." [The Message]

Do you long for a love that is true and lasting?
God has already given His life and now He waits for our hearts ... let Him be your hero today!

1 comment:

Debbie said...

Your right, what a GOOD thought..Jesus is MY hero. He willingly gave His life for mine. Doesn't get much better than this. Have a wonderful week-end Laurie..Blessings, Deb