Wednesday, September 30, 2009

IS IT ENOUGH?

Today, I have shared the following devotion over at AT THE WELL, where you can find daily devotional readings...



I recently returned from a long and exhausting trip to Texas. It was not only exhausting physically but emotionally as well. We traveled 8 hours to bring our youngest son to college in Texas. It was much harder for me to do than I thought.

On the long and sad ride home (without him), flashbacks of sweet memories of our children as they were growing up flooded my mind and I found myself wondering what I had taught my children. What were the lasting things that will stay with them now that they have flown to conquer their world? Was it enough to sustain them?

When I think about what I learned from my own mother and other female role models in my life...I can think of some really great things that still remain with me. Things like learning to bake a cake, how to balance my checkbook, and how to write thank you notes.

Actually, when you think about it ... there isn't a lot that we do, that at one point in time, we didn't have to learn. Even when our kids are babies, we still have to teach them to eat, to walk, and to talk. We as parents, have a huge responsibility when it comes to teaching our kids and every single day we are teaching them whether we realize it or not. We teach through our example, with counseling and guiding, by explaining, and we even teach through our discipline.

It is funny to watch my older children interact with the younger ones. Often times, we have overheard the oldest telling the younger ones the same kind of advice I can recall my husband and myself giving him at a younger, more tender age. Whether you realize it or not ... our kids are watching, they are listening and they are learning.

The Bible says that the most important thing that parents should teach their children is the lesson of fearing God! It is our job to show our kids what it is like to treat God with reverence, what it sounds like to talk to Him in prayer, what it means to give our worship to Him, and what it is like to trust Him in not only the good times but the bad.

PROV. 1:7 "The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge, but fools despise wisdom and instruction."

So, I ask you ... the things that you are teaching your children ~ is it enough? Is it enough that they will stand firm in their faith and be all that they can be in Christ? It is my prayer that it is enough!

Chcck back later to see this weeks post on  WEDNESDAY WEEKLY WORD!

2 comments:

Debbie said...

This was really good. I can relate so much. My last child at home, my only daughter, my "baby" married and moved 1000 miles away a year ago last June. I have spent this last year adjusting to an "empty nest" and dwelling and thinking about these very things.....Did I do enough? Did I prepare her (and the rest of my children) for an independent life and more importantly a life serving Him. Some things I know I would have done differently could I go back now, and others I feel I did the best I could. I've often dwelt recently on how important the job of "mother" is and how all these young women of today need to stand strong in their positions and how difficult of job alot of them have what with the busy, busy pace of many of our lives anymore. I recently wrote a similiar blog on my daily scripture blog using Ephesians 6:1-3 as my reference. Check it out if you get the chance. Thanks for this. Have a good day. Blessings, Debbie

Denise said...

Awesome my friend, be blessed.