Tuesday, October 18, 2016

No Turning Back

One of my favorite old songs we use to sing in church is, "I have decided to follow Jesus". This song takes me back to the little white church I grew up in on Cherry Street in Green Bay, WI.

I thought about those great hymn sings in that little church today as I was reading in the book of Luke. I came across this one passage that leaped out at me and instantly the words of that song played in my head..."The world behind me, the cross before me. No turning back, no turning back."

Luke 9:62 says, "No one who puts his hand to the plow and looks back is fit for the kingdom of God."

When I look at the words of this scripture and the words of that song, I can't help but see a profound biblical truth for us today: a Christians life must keep going forward to reach the prize.

Many great military leaders in history have gone to war and fought the fight. Some have relented and thrown up their hands in defeat. Some have even retreated.

For the Christian, we must not give up. We must not get discouraged to the point of quitting. We must not retreat.

As the sun was setting on Paul's ministry, he wrote...

 "I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith." (2 Timothy 4:7)

Paul was "struck down, but not destroyed" (2 Corinthians 4:9). After being stoned and left to die, Paul got up and moved forward.  "But one thing I do," Paul said, " forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize." (Philippians 3:13,14)

I don't know what kind of battle you face today, but I do know that God doesn't want you to give up. He has brought you this far for a reason and like Paul, you may feel struck down but friend, you are NOT destroyed.

Keep your eye on the prize, and when things get tough, don't turn back...thats not where Jesus is, He is in front of you.

Decide to follow Jesus. No turning back!

BLESSINGS. Laurie


No comments: