Thursday, January 14, 2016

DAILY DEVO...take a dive!

As a young Jr high teen, I spent most of my summer days at Joanne's Park in Green Bay, WI where I grew up. Today, that park is still there.

I remember going to the pool all day long with my friends and my brothers. All of them were good swimmers, I however, was not.

The cool place to be was no doubt over in the deep end, by the diving boards. Whether it was a cannonball, a back flip or even a belly flop; when you reached the end of the dive to jump; all eyes were upon you.

I was always chicken to go on the dives. But somehow I would get sucked into it. Waiting in line, I always was in awe of how my friends would run and leap into the water from their stand on the board. When it was my turn, I climbed those stairs slowly, wondering how I could turn back around without being noticed but as I turned, there always seemed to be someone already on the steps ready to go after me.

I suppose you could say that sometimes as a Christian we may see ourselves like that; standing at the edge of a dive, staring at the water, trying to convince ourselves to take the leap. Part of us wants to swim awhile out in the deep but fear keeps us standing on the edge and turning to look for a way to climb back down.

"As the deer longs for streams of water, so I long for You, O God. I thirst for God, the living God. When can I go and stand before Him?" (Psalm 42:1,2)

When it comes to God and stepping out to do what He is asking, don't be hesitate. Go to the edge and dive in. Don't be afraid, He won't let you drown.

No comments: