Wednesday, January 30, 2013

THANKFUL THURSDAY...Generosity 101

Have you ever dreamed of what you would do with a million dollars?

If you are like most people, this kind of money leaves us dreaming about all of the possibilities that this kind of cash would open to us. Bigger cars, nicer houses, fantastic vacations. The possibilities are endless. Most likely, giving the money away probably is not at the top of our list of possibilities though.

"Giving to God's work is not a habit that starts when we're experiencing material success. It's a habit best cultivated and nurtured in seasons of depending on God through lean times." - Joe Stowell

In the Bible, Paul very concisely points out that generosity is an attitude of the heart and not the condition of our circumstances. As clearly seen from the Macedonian church...

"Out of the most severe trial, their overflowing joy and their extreme poverty welled up in rich generosity." 2 Corinthians 8:2

Generosity does not stem from wealth. Indeed it rises up out of our heart, no matter what our circumstances may be. Before we can give out of plenty, we must exercise having a giving heart in the difficult, trying times. If you are willing to give a bag of groceries to someone in need when you yourself are in need, giving selflessly probably will not change according to your financial standing.

Giving generously starts now. Right where you are, with whatever you have.

Today is THANKFUL THURSDAY and I am not only grateful for the times people have been generous to me, but I am also thankful for the opportunities that God has given me to be generous with what I have. May I never forget that it isn't the amount, its my attitude.


How about you ...what are you thankful for today? Please join us for THANKFUL THURSDAY by linking up your TT post below. I'm so honored to have been your host this month, next week my friend Iris will be hosting, hope to see you then!
 

6 comments:

It Feels like Chaos said...

Absolutely! It is such a privilege to be able to give! And really the longer I live the more I see winning a bunch of money would not lead to more happiness, it would bring with it a boat-load of problems and stuff we didn't need. Better to just give it all away!

Nana Jul said...

You are right on the money...it was when I was the poorest and most needy that I determined to become faithful in giving....and He provided everything I needed for 3 years...my income did not even meet my bills...BUT God provided enough and more!!
Faithful God...He's why I give!
Happy Thursday!
Julie

Denise said...

Bless you.

Heather said...

So true, Laurie!!! That's a good point too about giving no matter our financial circumstances. Love your heart!

tammi said...

Haha, I keep praying for God to give my a grateful, generous heart so that He will be more likely to entrust me with riches!! ;)

I know, I know, that's not really the point... but I do want to be grateful for the little I have and generous despite not having what many might consider "enough" to give away.

Kathleen said...

What a great lesson and it does start with where we are now... This is a bit of a different take on my post - interesting to say the least. I pray the Lord give me the biggest giving heart ever :) Have a fabulous day!