Thursday, November 19, 2009

THANKFUL THURSDAY ... God's Word


I made a visit to our local Christian Bookstore this week and looked at Bibles. The shelves are full of all kinds of different versions of the Bible. King James, New King James, Standard, The Message, etc, etc. Being in the ministry, my husband and I are asked often what kind of Bible a new convert should purchase.

This isn't always an easy question to answer, especially since my husband comes from a strong family view that King James is the authorized Word of God. King James is what my husband likes to use but he also uses other versions when he is studying. I personally like to use the New King James, as it is written in a language that is much easier for me to understand than the old english.

We could argue all day which version is the best...but shouldn't the fact that the Word of God is being meditated upon and hidden in our hearts be the factor in this argument? When one prays the Romans Road to Salvation (3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:9; 5:1), the version is not as important as the message contained in these verses. When these scriptures are believed, confessed and prayed ... you will be saved, not because of the kind of Bible you read but because God is the same yesterday, today and forever. He loves, He forgives, He is compassionate, He is everlasting, He is our Redeemer, He is our Comfort, He is the I am!

ISAIAH 55:11 "So shall My word be that goes forth from My mouth; It shall not return to Me void, but it shall accomplish what I please, and it shall prosper in the thing for which I sent it." (NKJV)

God's Word ... this is what I am thankful for today. It directs me, it leads me, it instructs me, it disciplines me, it molds me, it inspires me. Aren't you thankful that the message of the Gospel never changes?


Please visit Iris over at GRACE ALONE for todays THANKFUL THURSDAY.


4 comments:

Denise said...

Amen, I am very thankful for His word.

Pia said...

i do. i thank God for His word too. our church uses NIV so my bible at home is NIV so is my bible on my cell phone. but for studying the word, i also use king james, the message, american standard and the amplified bible.

blessings...

Debbie said...

AMEN!! The ONLY thing we can ever count on to remain constant in this crazy world. Have a good day Laurie...

Please keep my niece in prayer, she is in labor and I am headed to the hospital. There are a couple of problems, but we know He is in control. Thanks!

Melanie said...

Amen!! Happy Thankful Thursday!