Friday, October 23, 2009

LWG - Mr. Postman

“Wait a minute, wait a minute … Mr. Postman!”




I am showing my age alittle bit with quoting that oldie of a song. But if you recall that song, it was a love song about someone waiting for a love letter from their sweetie. But the postman comes by and doesn’t deliver the letter as expected.

You know the kind of love letter that I am talking about. The kind that you keep in an old shoe box and the envelopes are covered with xoxo and as you pull out the parched paper with the words of your sweeties soul, you can still smell the fragrance of the hand that wrote it.

If you have such a shoe box full of love letters, most likely the paper is worn thin and the words are almost unrecognizable because of the times you have read those heartfelt words over and over again. Each time, no matter how many times you have read the words, they touch your heart and warm your soul.

Such letters are almost a rarity these days because we live in a society of technology. Today we use the computer to send e-cards to express our love or we send out a quick “I love you” on our facebook pages. You know technology is great but when it comes to receiving a love letter, I personally would like to receive one that I could hold in my hand and gaze upon over and over again.

We don’t have to wait on the postman like the song says ~ Each of us has such a love letter … the Bible is God’s love letter to the world. It is a personal message to each of us. Even though we share the same love letter and the message is the same, God’s intimate relationship is unique for each one that reads it.

I wonder how worn and tattered the pages of your love letter have become? Do you read the words of love with the same passion as you did the first time you read it?

“You are precious in my sight, and honored, and I love you.” – Isaiah 43:4

God’s love letter to us should be cherished and read over and over and over again. When is the last time that you picked up your love letter and read it?

This is a devotion that I have shared today over at the LACED WITH GRACE site. I am honored to share devo's with a team of great writers over there and you will be blessed by them five days a week (monday-friday). CLICK HERE to find out more about this great ministry!



1 comment:

Mary Beth said...

OK... I said that quote to my husband in our wedding vows 25 years ago! LOL