Tuesday, June 3, 2008

MISTAKEN IDENTITY...a piece of my heart

A PIECE OF MY HEART
I picked up a book the other day at a local bookstore to take with me to the beach in a couple of weeks. I am not much of a reader for pleasure as I am for books for studying. However, I knew I needed to have something to carry down to the beach with me on vacation.

MISTAKEN IDENTITY
As I was sitting out on the patio the other day, I thought I would pick this pleasure book up and get a head start on reading it. If you have not read this book and looking for a good cry....YOU HAVE TO GET THIS BOOK!

Picture this...I am sitting out on the patio, as I turn to page 2 and all the way to the fifth chapter...I am sitting, I am reading, I am crying. As I turn each page, I wipe my face that is wet with tears. (this would not have been a good scene at the beach!!) AMAZING STORY.

You may remember the story. It involved 5 lives that were lost in a tragic accident involving students and faculty from Taylor University a few years ago. Of the five lives that were lost, one pronounced dead was Whitney Cerak. There was one survivor from the crash, who was taken to the hospital with very critical injuries. Laura Van Ryn, laid in ICU for the next five weeks. Her family at her side, encouraging her and praying that Laura would come back to them.


Whitney's family
...held her funeral
...grieved and mourned

Laura's family
...kept a bedside vigil, praying for her recovery
...expressed joy that she was spared from the accident

-TWO FAMILIES
-TWO LIVES
-ONE GOD

JAMES 4:9 " Lament and mourn and weep! Let your laughter be turned to mourning and your joy to gloom."

This book reveals the unwavering faith and hope that two families possess. Their lives are intertwined with mourning and joy. The mourning of Whitney's family soon turned to joy while the joy of Laura's family turned to mourning.

So much can happen in 5 weeks. After weeks of her parents praying, Laura began to respond....only to find out that the young girl whom they have held a bedside vigil for was not their daughter...IT WAS WHITNEY!


MISTAKEN IDENTITY
written by Don & Susie Van Ryn and Newell, Colleen and Whitney Cerak with Mark Tabb


And here is a piece of my heart....No matter what circumstance you find yourself in. No matter how dark or bleak. Stand on the Word that says your God will never leave you nor forsake you. He is still in the miracle business and your miracle is just waiting around the corner. It may take 5 weeks or 5 years, but God has a plan and desires us to walk by faith not by sight!




Blessings, Laurie

6 comments:

Cheri said...

I saw this story on 20/20 or one of those shows like it. Truly an amazing story. I might just have to get this book!

Sharon said...

Oh Wow! I do remember when this unfolded, and I read the blog that Laura's family had going during this time. I remember reading Laura's mother writing she didn't seem to recognize her, and when the realization was coming to be. I had no idea a book was out. I'm not much of a book reader, either. But this is one I want to read! THANK YOU so much for blogging about this. I doubt I would have known otherwise! ((Hugs)) ~Sharon~

Tara Sloan said...

I absolutely love a good read... I'll have to grab it for our upcoming vacation! Thanks for the recommendation!

Lisa @ The Preacher's Wife said...

I saw this story on television and was blown away. Sounds like a great book!

Amy Wyatt said...

I'll have to check it out when I go to the beach. Always looking for a good read. Thanks for the recommendation. I heard about this story but didn't know they had written a book.

Darlene said...

I heard about this story on the Today show. I didn't get to watch it only the highlights. I didn't realize a book was out about it. I am going to see if I can find the book and read it. It really sounds amazing!

I like your quote! I keep telling these teen girls that a having a boyfriend doesn't define who they are. Andrea has a friend that thinks she has to have a boyfriend (good or bad) she feels lost if she doesn't have one. I may use your quote to reach out to her ...if that is okay with you?