Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Laced with Grace...OCD is not the same as serving others

My family has accused me of being OCD. Obssesive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) is a “mental disorder in which people have unwanted and repeated thoughts, feelings, ideas, sensations (obsessions), and behaviors that drive them to do something over and over (compulsions). ”

Just recently, at a family gathering, while everyone continued to visit, I began to clean up. Putting away food that had already been out too long, picking up trash and washing dishes. I didn’t do this because I have a compulsive behavior about dishes being clean but rather, I started to clean up to help the hostess; to serve her and the rest of the family.

I am a servant, I do not have OCD. There is a difference.

Most people think of the word “servant” as a negative thing. Most people visualize a servant as one who waits on people hand and foot; someone who is hired to do the dirty work. However, servants today are not slaves; they are people who help or assist others.

Jesus was the perfect example of a servant. 

He came to serve others, to help people. He wasn’t OCD, but He would rather be serving others than be served.

(Galatians 5:13) "You, my brothers and sisters, were called to be free. But do not use your feeedom to indulge the flesh; rather, serve one another humbly in love.”

If we are to be like Christ, we must learn to serve. 

Serving others requires putting  aside our own self centeredness and seeing the genuine needs of others. When we see others like Christ sees them, we all should be compelled to get up and help; to serve them.

At our recent family gathering, I was asked why I am always cleaning – if I was just OCD? My response would be this: 

"No I am not OCD, but I have been called to serve others and to serve them humbly, in love."

Being OCD and being a servant is not the same thing. Serving others is a good thing and a God thing.  

Never belittle someone or be ashamed of having a servants heart; it is one of the highest honors a Christian can have this side of heaven.

BLESSINGS. Laurie


@copyright2017 laurieadams

No comments: