Friday, February 10, 2017

DAILY DEVO...the parable of the 2 sons and today's Christian

In today's' scripture reading, we find a parable (a story) told by Jesus about two sons. At first glance, it may seem like Jesus is telling us a story about the difference of two sons work ethics...

(Matthew 21:28-30) "There was a man who had two sons. He went to the first and said, ‘Son, go and work today in the vineyard.’ (29) "'I will not,’ he answered, but later he changed his mind and went. (30) "Then the father went to the other son and said the same thing. He answered, ‘I will, sir,’ but he did not go."

Let's consider the answers the two sons offer; the first son shows a pretty blunt answer, "I will not!" This reckless response shows not only that he lives life alittle careless but he is downright disobedient. Even though he ended up going, he was still disobedient. The second son, responding "I will" but then ends up not going after all shows us that not all "yeses" mean yes.

This parable of the two sons can be likened to the kind of worker you and I are in the kingdom of God. Just because we are found busy doing this ministry or that ministry doesn't mean that we are being obedient to God. Obedience is never "busyness". Just because we do something doesn't mean our heart is in it.

Some of us are like the second son; too often we make commitments, promises and have intentions in our ministry but even though we say "yes", we know we cannot fulfill what we say we will do. Instead of our yes meaning yes, we are wishy washy and found to be not reliable.

Both sons brought dishonor and disappointment to their father. It is my prayer that my Heavenly Father finds me not only obedient to Him and His Word but that I am found to be true to my word; that my yes will mean yes and my no be no.

 "But let your ‘Yes’ be ‘Yes,’ and your ‘No,’ ‘No.’ For whatever is more than these is from the evil one." -Jesus (Matthew 5:7)

BLESSINGS. Laurie

TODAY'S SCRIPTURE READING: Exodus 26-27, Matthew 21:28-46, Psalm 31:19-24

SATURDAY SCRIPTURE READING: Exodus 28, Matthew 22, Psalm 32

SUNDAY SCRIPTURE READING: Exodus 29, Matthew 23:1-36, Psalm 33:1-12

No comments: