Monday, May 2, 2016

DAILY DEVO...some days you just need a rest!

Today, I am going to be very transparent with you. Sometimes I get tired. Sometimes I get plum worn out. I'm not talking about needing a afternoon nap, even though some days that would help. No, I'm talking about day to day life wearing me down, not just physically, but emotionally and spiritually.

Seldom does a day go by that I do not hear the words from someone: “I’m just so tired that I can hardly function." This is kind of ironic to me considering the era we live in with fast paced everything!

Think about it: In days gone by, a farmer had to till the ground in the spring, plant the corn, cultivate it during the growing season, harvest it in the fall, husk it, grind it and after all of that, finally receive a sack of beautiful yellow cornmeal. Seldom did the farmer or his hired hands complain of being tired.

Today, we climb in our air conditioned (or heated) car, drive two blocks to a store with shelves of yellow AND white cornmeal to choose from! When we return home we are exhausted from all of the effort! The checkout lanes, the traffic, the inconvenience wears us out!

I don't know what is wearing you out lately, but I could probably guess it has to do with a burden or two you are carrying. Burdens from your job. Burdens from your relationships. Burdens from not having enough money. Burdens of life. They come in all forms, from physical ailments to emotional conflicts to suffering loss to feeling alone and hopeless.

Whatever it is, it is heavy and crushes more than our shoulders; it can crush our livelihood, our joy, our hope, our tomorrow's.

"Come to Me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light." (Matthew 11:28-30)

On those days that I feel drained from my circumstances, I find rest in God. Somehow, just sitting at the feet of Jesus brings me peace, assurance and the strength that I need to go on.

What is wearing you out? Perhaps you need His yoke, which means we are with Him in all things. Where He goes - we go, where He stands - we stand.

Find His yoke and lighten your load and get some rest!

No comments: