Tuesday, May 10, 2016

DAILY DEVO...put your net down

If you have ever gone fishing, you understand the need for a net. When I was a young girl, my uncle was a avid fisherman and he would take me out in the boat with him many times. He taught me a thing or two about fishing.


The net was an important tool to have, especially when in the boat, it helped you catch the ones that tried to get away. This reminds me of what Jesus said...


"Come follow Me. I will make you fishers of men." (Matthew 4:19)


The first two brothers that Jesus met while looking for a group of followers to help Him were working on the shore, casting their nets out, like they did every day. He invited these fishermen to lay down THEIR nets and follow Him to cast a different kind of net.


Later, Jesus encountered two more brothers who were mending their nets in their boats and they too laid their nets down to follow Him. Eventually, there were 12 men in all that laid down their tools of trade to follow Jesus.


I don't know what kind of trade you are involved in, or what kind of tool helps you accomplish your day to day tasks. Perhaps it is a calculator, or a tractor, or a computer, or a camera. Sometimes the nets that Jesus is asking you and me to lay down is not literally a net, after all, not all of us are fishermen? Or are we?


When you and I accept Christ as our Savior, we become followers of Christ and when we follow Him, He said He would make US fishers of men! I'm not saying that we all need to quit our jobs today but I am suggesting that we look at the nets that we carry.


Some of us haven't learned to lay down our nets and pick up the Cross (God's net) to win those around us. Too many fish are trying to swim away. Isn't it time we lay it all down and follow Christ and accomplish the task He laid down for us to do...to become fishers of men.


Take a moment to look at where you are casting your net ...may we not let another soul swim away.


No comments: