Thursday, May 12, 2016

DAILY DEVO...put your baggage down

For those who know me, know that I am a “fixer.”   I want to have a plan for everything.  I thrive on having an action plan and if something doesn't seem to be working properly, I wonder how I can fix it?

The thing about being a "fixer" is that God doesn't  call us to be a “fixers,” but rather a “pray-er.”  Philippians 4:6-7 says this...

"Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus” 

You see, if I stop trying to fix everything on my own and take it to God in prayer, He will hear me and He will fix whatever needs to be fixed, and in the process, He will take away my anxiety and give me peace!  The load I carry will lessen the more I trust Him.

This reminds me of the last time I was at the airport. I had more than one heavy bag, which I checked in so I could freely walk thru the airport and board without the hassle of dragging it around. Once I arrived at my destination, I had a very important decision to make...

Would I pick my heavy baggage back up or would I allow the porter to pick it up for me and carry it?

When we try to control everything, it is like carrying that heavy baggage on our shoulders throughout the airport. God wants to be our porter, but we have to make the decision to allow Him to pick up our baggage and carry it Himself. He doesn't need us to carry it any more.

What will you decide today...pick up your bags or let God carry them?

No comments: