Thursday, April 19, 2012

THANKFUL THURSDAY...am I my brothers keeper?

Last night at Bible Study, during a discussion of the happenings of Syria, a question was posed..."What is our responsibility for those we do not know?"

The discussion went in different circles, some were opposed, and some were for our involvement. But the one thing that I could not get away from was that particular question about what our responsibility was.

Not politically speaking, but spiritually speaking...what exactly is our responsibility?

It is so easy to take the middle of the road approach when it comes to taking responsibility for the lost. Many times when we see someone in distress, we don't want to get involved, especially if it is a complete stranger. It is easier to walk away then become entangled with the unexpected. When it comes to being our brothers keeper, I wonder how many of us have the attitude of Cain...

Then the Lord said to Cain, "Where is your brother Abel?" "I don't know" he replied "Am I my brothers keeper?" (Genesis 4:9)

Cain's response to God was a callous one if you ask me. One that is all too familiar in today's society. We are too busy with our own life's to be involved in others, especially those that are strangers to us.

“When a person is unconcerned in the affairs of others and takes no care when they have opportunity to prevent hurt--especially in their souls,--that person in effect speaks Cain’s language.” -Matthew Henry

Becoming our brothers keeper spiritually is what I am talking about. Whether it is our brother over in Syria or our brother right here in our backyard, praying and interceding on their behalf is the least that we can do. The church was never intended to minister to only a certain segment of people, there is to be no distinction which means with their gender, race or where they live. To wash our hands or turn our back on any of our brothers, no matter what their belief or situation is saying that we do not believe that God in His mighty power can change hearts and lives.

As my brothers keeper, we DO have a responsibility. I am thankful that someone cared enough about me to intercede on my behalf when I was lost in sin and despair. Don't lose sight of what our responsibility is not only as an American but as an American Christian.

Pray for our nation. And pray for the countries that have made it difficult for Christians to share His gospel. Both here and over there are lost souls, souls that are God's prodigal children whom He waits for their return. Won't you take the Christian responsibility and pray?

Today is THANKFUL THURSDAY, and we have much to be thankful for. We live in a country that we can freely worship and pray to our God. A privilege that we should never take for granted. IRIS is hosting this month, link your grateful heart up with us over HERE!

2 comments:

Denise said...

Very, very true. I love you my friend.

lorig said...

I may not be my brother's keeper but I do have responsibility to them as a friend, co-worker, neighbour or family member. I have a responsibility to pray for them. I have a responsibility to walk beside them and live my faith. When I start to compromise I hurt not only myself but my ability to pray for them and talk to them.
Thank you for this timely reminder.