Monday, April 16, 2012

Power up!

The other day I was shopping for some vitamins for my family. I had no idea that there were so many different kinds, for so many different things. While looking over everything I also noticed a big variety of something else in the same aisle...power enhancements. Since I am not a weight lifter or ever had the need to enhance my power (physically), I was unaware of all of the different power drinks, power tablets, and power bars to enhance my strength and muscle.

In another section of the same aisle were diet pills and shakes. With so many things to choose from, it occurred to me that there is a huge market to help us shape up, trim down and get strong. The extent that many of us go to in order to become physically strong is unbelievable but what is even more unbelievable to me is that we don't seem to have the same drive to become spiritually strong.

The greatest temptation in life is to turn away from God when great trials and disappointments hit us. After all, how is it possible to hang onto God when it is all we can do to get up in the morning and not cry ourselves to sleep at night? It may seem easier to just give up and turn away from God, but trust me, life will only get harder not easier if you do this.

It is at this very moment that you cannot depend upon your own strength, but you must depend upon the strength of the Lords. There will be days that you will not be able to muster up enough strength to face all that you will have to face. Sickness, death and unexpected twists and turns of your life will leave you feeling weak, vulnerable and defeated. It is in this moment that you will need to have a power drink, or a power bar to get you thru to the other side...the kind that comes only from God!

Just like the conditioning that a weight lifter must endure, we as Christians also must condition our minds and hearts to be more like Christ.

"Come to Me, all you who are weary and find life burdensome and I will refresh you. Take My yoke upon your shoulders and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble of heart. Your souls will find rest, for My yoke is easy and My burden light." MATTHEW 11:28-30

We must never lose sight of the fact that God has us in the palm of His hand, even during those dry, difficult times. When we cannot see past our pain, He already sees the purpose. We must never be without His yolk upon our shoulders, It is what makes us strong. Those times that we feel alone, hurt and disappointed is not the time to turn away from God, in fact, it is in these moments that we must run to Him.



We can do all kinds of things to get strong physically, but none of that will do us any good unless we place our life in His hands. There are no power bars that we can consume to receive Gods strength unless we recieve Gods love. It is then that we can power up and be strong in Him.

TODAY'S PRAYER: "Dear Lord, Help me to trust You with my life. Even when things go wrong in my life, I will remain faithful and true to you. It is Your strength and power that I desire in my life, to help me, guide me and protect me. I commit all of my weaknesses to You, for You are my strength." AMEN

1 comment:

Denise said...

Awesome post my friend.